Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

laptop recommendation

TOOLDEV

Once we know your budget we can give you better recommendations.

here is one in the $1500 range, and I admit to know nothing about the Quadro MOBILE graphics cards

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA8TK6DZ3043&ignorebbr=1#close

If you don't do extensive modeling, a high end MSI gaming laptop will be more than enough in the < $2000 range and be a lot more powerful than the one I linked above.

I just got this MSI from HID Evolution. I was originally looking at Dell and Lenovo workstations, but their cooling configurations look really wimpy compared to a gaming-type laptop, like the MSI. I also liked the fact the HID also adds some custom build touches to mitigate heat like CPU delidding. Cost about the same as a similarly spec'd Dell or Lenovo, but I actually the think the processor is better in the MSI vs the options you get with the other two. I've been putting it through its paces today and I'm looking forward to running the benchmark on it tonight.

2 hours ago, Grimes said:

i like lenovo too, i got my boss to buy me i think a P540. I7, 2 gig video ram, 16 gig memory for a grand. a beast compared to my last computer. but some of these guys have killer machines. the one thing i can say is try to get a quadro video card.

If possible, you should see about upgrading the memory in your laptop to 32 Gb from 16. That should give you a significant performance increase...

I have a dell Alienware 17R4. It has the 1080 chip. can be configured with 32 gigs of ram, two hard drives.

Bad thing is its HEAVY. 10 lbs. The power brick is also heavy.

I found a padded backpack for it, with a wire support going thru it.. Just don't drop it!

battery life about 3.5 hrs. for light duty. 2hrs max if gaming.

On 12/3/2018 at 3:15 PM, Frank Caudillo said:

I just got this MSI from HID Evolution. I was originally looking at Dell and Lenovo workstations, but their cooling configurations look really wimpy compared to a gaming-type laptop, like the MSI. I also liked the fact the HID also adds some custom build touches to mitigate heat like CPU delidding. Cost about the same as a similarly spec'd Dell or Lenovo, but I actually the think the processor is better in the MSI vs the options you get with the other two. I've been putting it through its paces today and I'm looking forward to running the benchmark on it tonight.

Here is where I would start using that website.

WT75

Here is how I would spec it out:

image.thumb.png.61947e4537640346bdeac19127fd3161.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Huh? 1
1 minute ago, Matthew Hajicek™ - Conventus said:

My first comment is that unless it absolutely has to be a laptop, build a desktop workstation.  You will get a lot more bang for your buck.  You can even make it reasonably portable.

Many of our customers will not allow this. If it is not a Laptop they will not let you in the building with it, but agree 100% with what your saying.

I have bought 6 or so MSI off of amazon.  You should look there, the last one I bought just over 4 years ago is still doing well.  It set my back $1600, has an i7 @2.8, 32g ram, sdd, hdd but the video card is showing it's age.

I have to second Ron though, MSI is my favorite laptop.

On 12/4/2018 at 10:24 PM, Colin Gilchrist said:

If possible, you should see about upgrading the memory in your laptop to 32 Gb from 16. That should give you a significant performance increase...

ive been looking into this and it seems my comp does have 4 cores, so it can be upgraded to 32 which i will probably do soon. but probably out of my own pocket. its pretty quick for me compared with the old one, but would like to see how fast it could be. thanks.

• Like 1

As a contract programmer I run my business from a dell precision 7710, Fantastic laptop and I've had zero issues with it. Handles everything I throw at it. That being said its close to 12lbs with the brick. Not so bad if im travelling with my own vehical and am only one shop ina day, but often im at multiple customers and when I fly its unruly to lug around, near impossible to use on a flight. Not that I fly often for work but its not exactly portable.

I got to lay my hands on MSI new WS63 work series when I was at my local PC store yesterday, and man is it nice. Other than the less than ideal trackpad (minor issue as I pack a mouse) thin, light, beautiful speced with 8 gen i7, and P3200 gpu.

My plan for next upgrade is a WS tower for home/shop. And eventually replace my Dell with a slimmer more travel friendly 15". I do the bulk of my contract stuff pre programmed and only make minor changes onsite.

• Like 1
On 12/8/2018 at 8:23 AM, Codeworx said:

As a contract programmer I run my business from a dell precision 7710, Fantastic laptop and I've had zero issues with it. Handles everything I throw at it. That being said its close to 12lbs with the brick. Not so bad if im travelling with my own vehical and am only one shop ina day, but often im at multiple customers and when I fly its unruly to lug around, near impossible to use on a flight. Not that I fly often for work but its not exactly portable.

I got to lay my hands on MSI new WS63 work series when I was at my local PC store yesterday, and man is it nice. Other than the less than ideal trackpad (minor issue as I pack a mouse) thin, light, beautiful speced with 8 gen i7, and P3200 gpu.

My plan for next upgrade is a WS tower for home/shop. And eventually replace my Dell with a slimmer more travel friendly 15". I do the bulk of my contract stuff pre programmed and only make minor changes onsite.

I have the same one. It's not so bad until your finding yourself walking through airports like Houston's Bush airport time and time again. That place is huge and by the time I could set that thing in my rental car was a huge relief.

I would always buy a laptop for power and screen size. A 17" laptop is about as small as I would ever go. A 10 keypad is a must. If you travel a lot, you can always get a wheelie backpack.

On 12/5/2018 at 1:26 PM, 5th Axis CGI said:

Here is where I would start using that website.

WT75

Here is how I would spec it out:

image.thumb.png.61947e4537640346bdeac19127fd3161.png

Wholly Crap, don't think I could expense that,..

I'm running a hand-me down Dell M6800, that one of the SWorks techs couldn't get to work. We bought a new 500gig SSD and loaded WIn10 moved my old 500gig SSD to the secondary got 2 1/2yrs on it so far. Being a metal chassis it is heavy, I use a 511 messenger bag to carry it with all the whutnots, there may be some EDC items as well. 

• 3 months later...

I recommend the Dell 7520 or the Dell 7720 I personally have the Dell 7520 with a Xeon E3-1505M v6 with 32GB of Ram and a 4GB Quadro M2200. Runs Mastercam and Solidworks very well. Pricey though. Purchased brand new off of Dell for $4600 including tax (Canadian) They come with a 3 year warranty. I already had a problem with the cooling system as the Fan's weren't working properly and Dell sent a technician to my house and the guy replaced the cooling unit in 30 min.  So good customer service and good warranty but pricey. I use it everyday for 12 hours a day believe it or not. I like it because it's not a 17" full size laptop it's 15" with a full keyboard meaning it has the number pad on the side. 17" laptops with high specifications are big and heavy. I had a Dell M6800 and it was massive. The power supply alone was like a brick. But that laptop is still running today 9 hours a day and is virtually indestructible.. The power supply for the Dell 7520 is half the size of the M6800 but is still bulky, I stopped carrying around the power supply and just bought another off Dell. One I keep at home and the other I keep at the office. 

I find the 15" screen can be a bit small for Mastercam but I got used to it. 

I believe Dell makes the best mobile workstations on the planet. But you will pay.