Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Thoughts on gaming mice

Corey Hampshire

I was reading the 3d mouse thread and started wondering what everyone is using for gaming mice? I am interested in makes and models and what everyone sets the buttons to. I just bought a Logitech 602 last night and I really like so far. I was trying to think of good ideas of what to program all the buttons to and thought this may be an interesting topic. Let's hear what everyone does to streamline the programming process.

Using a Logitech G900 here

I think it's probably the best mouse I've ever owned.

I've spent a lot of time customizing buttons but found I don't use them much

I have "scroll wheel left"  set to launch the Trim command and use it constantly

but that's it.

If I use a mouse that requires a heavy click effort I start having serious pain in my left mouse

finger. When the Left Click button on my CadMouse started going out I was actually getting fluid buildup

under my fingernail and the whole tip of my left mouse finger was swelling up. 

It seems ridiculous,  but it's a perfect example of a very minor motion, repeated

thousands of times a day causing a repetitive motion injury. It was quite painful and was starting to interfere

with my ability to run a mouse.... and earn a living.

The difference between a heavy click and a light click is tiny, but my finger knows the difference.

The left and right finger buttons on the G900 are perfect and I've been running this one for a couple of years

without problems.

I love mine, I use a Red Dragon Mammoth M801:

https://www.amazon.com/Redragon-Programmable-Buttons-Switches-Profiles/dp/B00GU4F4OM/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1544057593&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=redragon+mammoth+m801&psc=1

and here is what I have it set to:

Capture.png

I have larger than average hands and this one fits great.

G Code, I know what you mean by hand pain. This past Saturday I was at work programming for about 5 hours straight. When the end of the day rolled around I had developed a cramp in my hand. That is when I started looking at how well what I was using fit my hand. It didn't. I was claw gripping it. Oddly I ran across the 3D mouse topic earlier this week and saw where several guys mentioned gaming mouse. I was intrigued. A trip to best buy later that day and I had found one that fit my hand size a lot better. 

JLW the red dragon looks like a very nice choice for a good price too! If I hadn't just bought one, I would definitely look at this one. 

I just have a regular space mouse, so I only have two buttons there to program. I have them set to top and fit on the right button and then iso view on the left button. On the gaming mouse I setup buttons for reverse iso, select only colors quick mask (I do a lot of my programs by color, it saves me a lot of time), cancel quick masks, regen selected tool paths, toggle tool path display, launch backplot, launch verify and save. I have yet to do a lot of programming with it and I'm sure things will change. It amazes me that I never thought to do this before. Hot keys and shortcuts are so much faster than finding the icons in all the tool bars.

The big thing is my hand feels better a the end of the day. Less tired and cramped up. 

• Like 1

I use a logitech G502 and love it. I really prefer the corded mice over bluetooth as the slight delay messes with me sometimes. I use a combination of claw grip and palm grip depending on how long I'm programming. For anyone who doesn't know what I'm talking about here is a link to the description of the different grip styles. I keep my mouse around 4000 DPI which is fairly fast. Standard button layout for me. I'm using this on a steel series mouse pad, highly recommend this. Fairly cheap and extremely smooth action. Once the mouse is calibrated to it the input is a lot more predictable. 

https://www.epicgear.com/en/technologies/types-of-mouse-grip

As a side note my keyboard is a Corsair Strafe MX Cherry Red. The mechanical keys plus high rollover rates really help with Mastercam when only using the left hand on the board and some strange key combos that don't come up on regular keyboards. Plus the mechanical input guarantees input everytime. Really a must have for me.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Manofwar said:

As a side note my keyboard is a Corsair Strafe MX Cherry Red.

yes.. running a Logitech K840 at work and a DasKeyboard at home

once you get used to a mechanical keyboard, the regular ones suck

They are like typing in a bowl of oatmeal

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, Manofwar said:

I use a logitech G502 and love it. I really prefer the corded mice over bluetooth as the slight delay messes with me sometimes. I use a combination of claw grip and palm grip depending on how long I'm programming. For anyone who doesn't know what I'm talking about here is a link to the description of the different grip styles. I keep my mouse around 4000 DPI which is fairly fast. Standard button layout for me. I'm using this on a steel series mouse pad, highly recommend this. Fairly cheap and extremely smooth action. Once the mouse is calibrated to it the input is a lot more predictable. 

https://www.epicgear.com/en/technologies/types-of-mouse-grip

As a side note my keyboard is a Corsair Strafe MX Cherry Red. The mechanical keys plus high rollover rates really help with Mastercam when only using the left hand on the board and some strange key combos that don't come up on regular keyboards. Plus the mechanical input guarantees input everytime. Really a must have for me.

I'm also using a G502 and I love it. I have my shift and alt keys, as well as my delete and enter keys mapped to my buttons. This allows me to use the "shift + " and "alt +" custom keyboard shortcuts I created for my x-form functions, trim, change levels, clear colors, and stuff like that. I've also started using Mastercam's default keyboard shortcuts for creating geometry and such.

I'm also using a mechanical keyboard (Vortex Race3 with Cherry MX Blues), which has been soooo nice compared to the basic membrane keyboards. I had even thought of building a custom mechanical pad and programming macros for my most used Mastercam functions.

Mouse Setup.jpg

Razer Tiapain  --  was inexpensive, think like $60 new. 

I bought 3; one for work , home , and a spare.   

( i use approx 1/2" hand movement to get across a 24" screen)

my wrist is always anchored across dual monitors as well.

images.jpg.7bf3df854abee68af83f1152a921bbb3.jpg

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS

 8200dpi 4G laser sensor

 Ambidextrous Form Factor

 Razer Synapse Enabled

 9 Programmable Hyperesponse Buttons

 1000Hz Ultrapolling

 Up To 200 Inches Per Second / 50g Acceleration

 Gold-Plated USB Connector

 2.13 m / 7 Ft. Braided Fiber Cable

 Approximate Size: 125 mm / 4.92” (Length) x 56 mm / 2.20” (Width) x 39 mm / 1.54 mm (Height)

 Approximate Weight: 95g / 0.21 lbs

I use my Logitech G502 Proteus...ive tried vertical mice, regular mice...etc. I prefer a nice heavy mouse, and the proteus is quite heavy and can be made heavier  with the supplied weights. I have one button programmed to "Analyze Distance", another to "Fit to Screen" and the other to "Isometric View". Once i get my 3D mouse in, I hope to change those GUI view-based macros with more useful toolpath ones or things like run Vericut or something.

THe logitech gaming software for this mouse supports 3 user profiles, so theoretically i could program 3 separate macro profiles depending on what i am doing. Not really something i feel like doing.

Oh and I run my DPI at 4500...which is way too fast for most people, but small movements with the weight of the mouse translate into big screen moves with very little effort.

The free-scrolling center mouse wheel is great when youre trying to get through a xxxxload of code fast

22 hours ago, Frank Caudillo said:

I'm also using a G502 and I love it. I have my shift and alt keys, as well as my delete and enter keys mapped to my buttons. This allows me to use the "shift + " and "alt +" custom keyboard shortcuts I created for my x-form functions, trim, change levels, clear colors, and stuff like that. I've also started using Mastercam's default keyboard shortcuts for creating geometry and such.

I'm also using a mechanical keyboard (Vortex Race3 with Cherry MX Blues), which has been soooo nice compared to the basic membrane keyboards. I had even thought of building a custom mechanical pad and programming macros for my most used Mastercam functions.

Mouse Setup.jpg

Im gonna try mapping the 'enter' key and see how that affects workflow. i like that idea

18 minutes ago, Metallic said:

Im gonna try mapping the 'enter' key and see how that affects workflow. i like that idea

I can't live without it at this point. I would be completely lost on a system without my mouse and custom keyboard shortcuts. I like having delete right next to enter so when I delete entities or anything else I don't need, I can immediately hit enter to confirm. Makes things a breeze.

1 minute ago, Corey Hampshire said:

what is the big deal about the mechanical key boards?

a nice crisp precise key stroke which makes it easier to type faster and more accurately

and

they make a loud clickity clickity clickity that will drive your co-workers crazy and let everyone know just how hard you are working :p

• Like 2

If you really want to go HAM, get this guy for a few hundred bux. image.thumb.png.41f867606454d36c228eba313f03ead5.png(ErgoDox)

I know an electrical engineer who actually made his own mech keyboard using a 3D printer and keys off the interwebs. Its a pretty goofy split-board design but he printed a bunch of extra key spots for his frquently used commands.

1 minute ago, gcode said:

a nice crisp precise key stroke which makes it easier to type faster and more accurately

and

they make a loud clickity clickity clickity that will drive your co-workers crazy and let everyone know just how hard you are working

...and higher rollover rates. Here is what that means. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rollover_(key)

You can also bind macros to particular key strokes, which can be beneficial.

Plus, they light up... who doesn't like something shiny?

15 minutes ago, Manofwar said:

Plus, they light up... who doesn't like something shiny?

you can get mechanical keyboards that don't light up if you don't want a bunch of bling in the office.

Many mechanical keyboards are geared to gamers and they have lighting schemes and such.

Be warned, mechanical keyboards can get addictive.

I have a Logitech 840 at work and a midrange Das Keyboard  at home.

After using the Das Keyboard for a while at home, I'm finding I don't like the Logitech anymore.

It's not clicky enough now.. and I absolutely hate the membrane style keyboards that laptops use.