Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Helical ramp OD

Brad Lisle

I must have had to much coffee this morning because I cannot think for the life of me. I am trying to do a Helix bore toolpath on an OD. I know I have done this toolpath a few times before but my mind is going a million miles per hour today and I can't get what I want. Simply want to select on an OD arc and tell it to use a highfeed mill to spiral ramp down to a desired Z depth without selecting surfaces.

Thank you 

13 minutes ago, 5th Axis CGI said:

Contour with Ramp would be how I would approach this. Get lead in/out and done. I would do a full pass a depth also.

Awesome, thank you. I already tried contour and could not find ramp option it only had 2D, 3D or 3D chamfer. I must have selected a bad chain. Got it done finally. It was driving me nuts!

2 minutes ago, Brad Lisle said:

Awesome, thank you. I already tried contour and could not find ramp option it only had 2D, 3D or 3D chamfer. I must have selected a bad chain. Got it done finally. It was driving me nuts!

Well most people don't realize that flowline on a cylinder will do the same thing, but not give the full cut at the bottom depth. I have roughed Chamfers and diameters of big threaded spuds this way then come back and do a contour on the bottom to get the full cut. Then take a boring bar reversed to make a good round OD and then threadmill. I am talking 6" and 8" diameter threaded bosses on some 4-20 ton parts.