Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

machining stress

Hello all

Wondering if anyone has any suggestions on reducing the amount of stress being introduced when roughing 316L stainless steel?  I have some curved parts and I'm having difficulty with the amount of stress in the part.  The longer the part, the more my dimensions are off.

Changing vendors is not an option.  Wish it was.  

Curious how others have tackled this issue.

Appreciate any input, thanks

Joey

rough plus ?  flip rough plus.. rinse and repeat.

thats the general approach but might find a little more help with more info.. what size, what type of features, how much material removal and what types of tools are you currently cutting with.

dynamic machining helps a lot if it has application in your type of part.

• Like 2

Take a deep breath, turn on some soothing music...

Use solid carbide instead of inserts, since they tend to be sharper and induce less stress.  Rough, reclamp, finish, or rough, flip, rough, flip or reclamp, finish, flip, finish.  Make sure the cutter doing the finish pass is sharp and in good shape.  If there's too much stress already in the stock, consider stress relieving.

Edit: I just realized that could be confusing.  I'll bracket it:

(Rough, reclamp, finish), or (rough, flip, rough, [flip or reclamp], finish, flip, finish).

• Like 5
19 hours ago, Matthew Hajicek™ - Conventus said:

Take a deep breath, turn on some soothing music...

Use solid carbide instead of inserts, since they tend to be sharper and induce less stress.  Rough, reclamp, finish, or rough, flip, rough, flip or reclamp, finish, flip, finish.  Make sure the cutter doing the finish pass is sharp and in good shape.  If there's too much stress already in the stock, consider stress relieving.

Edit: I just realized that could be confusing.  I'll bracket it:

(Rough, reclamp, finish), or (rough, flip, rough, [flip or reclamp], finish, flip, finish).

I will repeat. (Rough, reclamp, finish), or (rough, flip, rough, [flip or reclamp], finish, flip, finish).

• Like 1