Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Post Processing: Office Hours Sessions

I'm looking to put together some short Post Processing online classes, to cover some subjects like Transform Program Number output, and "how to use the 'Transform Toolpath' options. This would be similar to my previous "Office Hours" sessions, which is basically "Post Processing open Q&A" with an instructor.

What format sounds more appealing:

Saturday morning (2 hour session - $25)

Saturday afternoon (2 hour session - $25)

Saturday (4 hour split session - $40)

Saturday (1 hour session - $15)

My goal is to try and get at least 8 students per hour to signup. I realize that might start slowly, especially considering the holidays, but ideally I'd love to turn this into a weekly session, where I can charge a low rate to each individual for training that I really enjoy doing. Kind of a "come ask your Post Processor Questions, and I'll demonstrate the answer, no holds barred".

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Codeworx said:

None of those proposed times are office hours Colin😆

We can change the name of the sessions if it helps people to better understand what these sessions are. The title simply refers to "times when I'll be available to answer student questions".

Would this be more appealing if I ran it on Tuesday and Thursday evenings?

I am good when ever you want to do it. I will make it work. Sorry I didn't see the thread over here until after the weekend. I think that for the sake of it all u should probably just pick a time that works best for you and do a sign up. If you don't get enough people than obviously we would have to find a different way. But ultimately I hope it will work. I am willing to bet if set up 2, 2 hour office hours every month with an open sign up, you would fill the classes... lol God knows I always have questions

• Thanks 1
  • 5 months later...
On 12/19/2018 at 4:08 PM, Colin Gilchrist said:

I'm looking to put together some short Post Processing online classes, to cover some subjects like Transform Program Number output, and "how to use the 'Transform Toolpath' options. This would be similar to my previous "Office Hours" sessions, which is basically "Post Processing open Q&A" with an instructor.

What format sounds more appealing:

Saturday morning (2 hour session - $25)

Saturday afternoon (2 hour session - $25)

Saturday (4 hour split session - $40)

Saturday (1 hour session - $15)

My goal is to try and get at least 8 students per hour to signup. I realize that might start slowly, especially considering the holidays, but ideally I'd love to turn this into a weekly session, where I can charge a low rate to each individual for training that I really enjoy doing. Kind of a "come ask your Post Processor Questions, and I'll demonstrate the answer, no holds barred".

Colin, when this class will start?

Dinh ([email protected])

• 3 weeks later...

Colin, count me in on these "Post Processing online classes". I looked a few weeks ago on eapprentice and saw nothing concerning these classes; that's what lead me here. So, you'll let us know if or not these classes will happen? 

One last thing, when will we see new content on eapprentice and if some are in the works can you give us a written preview of what to expect? Machining here in the Aurburn Vallley is always evolving. I trust and depend on your training courses to stay as close to the leading edge as possible. Thank You

CNC Programmer in

• Like 1

Hello Colin, if you're still interested in doing this course I imagine myself and at least one other person I work with would be interested in it.

If not, do you know the best place I can go to get classes on post processing. I don't seem to be able to find any information on it anywhere.

Thank you

7 hours ago, Jheroux737 said:

Hello Colin, if you're still interested in doing this course I imagine myself and at least one other person I work with would be interested in it.

If not, do you know the best place I can go to get classes on post processing. I don't seem to be able to find any information on it anywhere.

Thank you

I've taught a Post Processing Class "online" about 4 different times. At one time, I had 3 different Post Processor classes that I taught, being "Basic Mill Post Processing (Covers the Generic Fanuc 4X Mill Post)", "4-Axis Lathe Post Processing (Covers the Generic Fanuc 4X MT_Lathe Post)", and "5-Axis Post Processing (Covers the Generic Fanuc 5X Mill Post and PSB)".

It has been a few years since I ran the online classes, mostly due to me having other work that also kept me really busy, but also due to not a ton of "sustained" interest.

With training, it is kind of like the saying in the movie Field of Dreams, where Kevin Costner hears "If you build it, they will come". Basically, if I put in a ton of up-front work, then the payoff is hopefully we get a bunch of subscribers. The issue is having the up-front time to create all the content.

All of my classes were essentially "instructor led", where I would lecture for about 2/3 of the teaching time, and we would spend 1/3 of the time covering "real world examples", where I would write post logic, and make edits to the Post, so students could work through their real-world Post issues.

My classes are still available "online" but not as a "live course". They are only available as recorded videos, in our video library. (see the link in my signature)