Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

RS232 for non RS232 machines

Does anyone have a solution to connect a machine that does not support RS232 with a network that uses RS232?  

A serial connection has to be used on the network end, no changing this part. 

The machines support Ethernet and USB. So either RS232 to USB or RS232 to Ethernet are viable options. 

Right now I think I may have a solution of data-logging from RS232 to SD then USB to the control. There is the issue of drivers not picking up the media on the CNC control. If the drivers are not an issue, I think this would work for receiving programs. I am just skeptical on uploading programs to the network with the reverse of the device I linked below.

http://www.keelog.com/rs232-ethernet/

As a cliff note I am not trying to go from a RS232 machine to another media as this has been done for quite sometime. 

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Why does it have to be rs232? They make ethernet to serial adaptors but they are ment for connection to older machines technically it could be wired in but the machine would have no idea what to do with the signal. Not sure anyone makes a device backwards compatible.

Ive hoooked up hundreds of machines and typically this restriction is an IT issue (they dont want the machine in the network) there are options uisng ethernet and  ot being on the network.

Thanks LeoC, I just ordered a potential solution from Calmotion. Should be at my office when I get back from vacation!!

Ive hoooked up hundreds of machines and typically this restriction is an IT issue (they dont want the machine in the network) there are options uisng ethernet and  ot being on the network.

If I could get away from RS232 I would, non-negotiable unfortunately.