Sign in to follow this  
Leon82

Matsuura mx are going to oil spindles on 20k machines

The new one is oil previous are grease.

Well that is only the second time they have learned that lesson...

Yeah. I have not had good luck with grease spindles at all. 

Mike

Yes.. our big Okuma 5X has a greased spindle

I rough a lot of mild steel parts using a Ø2" high feed and through tool air blast instead of coolant.

Some genius used a cutter body that had no coolant holes, so the air blast blew out the seals and all the spindle grease.

By the time it was over, our spindle sounded like a gravel truck on a bumpy dirt road.

• Sad 2

I recently sat in on a spindle training class. The guru running the class said grease spindles:

1. have a 2 hr max duty cycle, after which a brief pause is required ( i guess to let the oils re penitrate the elements?)

2. 8000hr life

Oil/air mist is only bettered by straight VG68 ported directly into the bearing race. 42k rpm for 365 days straight? ..no problem.

• Like 1

Our vplus has the oil 20k, the factory warmup is 45 minutes daily, 55 after 2 days.

The grease we warm-up also but I guess some people don't. 

When I was closer to Mats, so upto around 2010, I had been told that grease is fine upto the limit of 15k.

Oil mist was the way to go above 15k. And they had been the leaders on high speed spindles having 20k since '89 by memory.

The used FX5 (20k) I bought back in 2001 was a 1994 model and still on its original spindle, and when I left the place (2005) it was still running strong.

• Like 2

I have a Matsuura 15k air/oil spindle that has around 40,000hrs or more on it, never been rebuilt, runs like a top. Spends a lot of time between 10-15k.

I have a air/oil Makino spindle that pretty much only operates at 20k for days at a time. Based on my experience I am happy to stick with air/oil.

• Like 4

Same experience here. I even had an operator put synthetic coolant in the spindle oil unit once 🤨. Luckily we use spindle load monitoring on everything and caught it before any permanent damage. Took the whole thing apart, cleaned, ran it in and no problems. Grease on the other hand, easily contaminated to the point of failure. Especially on HMC's/mill turn applications.

Mike 

It's loud like the vplus.

I guess grease is quieter

Leon - is that because they have air hooked upto them, where the grease cartridge never did?

3 hours ago, Newbeeee™ said:

Leon - is that because they have air hooked upto them, where the grease cartridge never did?

The actual sound level from the bearings

As surprising side note I learned:

just because you have a grease pack housing for the life of the spindle doesn't mean you always have grease. Excessive vibration will actually be a leading cause of grease evaporation.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Leon82 said:

The actual sound level from the bearings

on acceleration or steady state?

42K machine i work with get a little cage rattle spooling up.

56 minutes ago, mkd said:

on acceleration or steady state?

42K machine i work with get a little cage rattle spooling up.

It's a high pitch ring I guess like here before it starts cutting the grease has a hum to it

Sounds like HF chatter to me. Maybe the mass of grease has some damping properties?

400ipm is moving pretty dang good. I've done 500ipm with 5000RPM.

slow RPM down?

1 minute ago, mkd said:

Sounds like HF chatter to me. Maybe the mass of grease has some damping properties?

400ipm is moving pretty dang good. I've done 500ipm with 5000RPM.

slow RPM down?

Most of that was the endmill, but there is a ring at high speed.

There is a program in the system folder that says 20k prediction. I wonder what this does.

Matsuura can use m203 to run the spindle un confirmed so you don't have to wait for it to spin up. I wonder if this is an expansion of that