Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Matsuura mx are going to oil spindles on 20k machines

Yes.. our big Okuma 5X has a greased spindle

I rough a lot of mild steel parts using a Ø2" high feed and through tool air blast instead of coolant.

Some genius used a cutter body that had no coolant holes, so the air blast blew out the seals and all the spindle grease.

By the time it was over, our spindle sounded like a gravel truck on a bumpy dirt road.

• Sad 2

I recently sat in on a spindle training class. The guru running the class said grease spindles:

1. have a 2 hr max duty cycle, after which a brief pause is required ( i guess to let the oils re penitrate the elements?)

2. 8000hr life

Oil/air mist is only bettered by straight VG68 ported directly into the bearing race. 42k rpm for 365 days straight? ..no problem.

• Like 1

When I was closer to Mats, so upto around 2010, I had been told that grease is fine upto the limit of 15k.

Oil mist was the way to go above 15k. And they had been the leaders on high speed spindles having 20k since '89 by memory.

The used FX5 (20k) I bought back in 2001 was a 1994 model and still on its original spindle, and when I left the place (2005) it was still running strong.

• Like 2

I have a Matsuura 15k air/oil spindle that has around 40,000hrs or more on it, never been rebuilt, runs like a top. Spends a lot of time between 10-15k.

I have a air/oil Makino spindle that pretty much only operates at 20k for days at a time. Based on my experience I am happy to stick with air/oil.

• Like 4

Same experience here. I even had an operator put synthetic coolant in the spindle oil unit once 🤨. Luckily we use spindle load monitoring on everything and caught it before any permanent damage. Took the whole thing apart, cleaned, ran it in and no problems. Grease on the other hand, easily contaminated to the point of failure. Especially on HMC's/mill turn applications.

Mike 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

We got an email from out dealer with a new warmup recommendation for the air grease spindles.

It's 10 minutes instead of the 2 that they came with. Starting at 1,000 for a minute 5,000 for a minute 10,000 for 2 minutes 15,000 for 3 minutes 20,000 for 3 minutes

We had a combined access and spend a warm up which the values were already pretty close. So we just modified them a little bit.