Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

roughing toolpath with tilt?

LucasGC

hi all,

Was wondering if there is a specific toolpath to use for roughing material with holder tilt.

or a finishing toolpath that has a roughing option? 

i have basically a 3" dia cylinder that is 10" tall and i need to cut it out of a 5x5x10 block, i have a rotary toolpath for finishing but can't figure out how to get a tool down there to rough it

4 minutes ago, gcode said:

Check out the Holder Page on 3X  high speed toolpaths

Many of them have Collision Checking that will yield 5X tilting motion if you are using a 5X machine def

collision checking.png

only the 3d surface high speed finishing offer tilt, the Surface high speed roughing only give us Trim and not holder tilting. 

Lucas, Do you have the Multi-axis addon for mastercam? Mastercam Multi-axis will do what you asked easily.

Edit: i just seen you already posted that you figured it out with 3 to 5 conversion so nevermind and you must have the multi-axis after all and hopefully that did a good job for you.

54 minutes ago, JoshC said:

only the 3d surface high speed finishing offer tilt, the Surface high speed roughing only give us Trim and not holder tilting. 

Lucas, Do you have the Multi-axis addon for mastercam? Mastercam Multi-axis will do what you asked easily.

Edit: i just seen you already posted that you figured it out with 3 to 5 conversion so nevermind and you must have the multi-axis after all and hopefully that did a good job for you.

Yep, it worked great. and yeah the roughing toolpaths don't have tilt.

Next question kind of somewhat not really related: i'm using a morph toolpath to machine the sides of the cylinder, while keeping a 45 degree tilt away from the surface. that means each time my tool makes a full 360, so does my c-axis, and i don't have unlimited c. originally I wanted to use a zig-zag pattern and have my tool start at c0 and end at c360, then just reverse so i wouldn't have to have a c-unwind. i used the 'start point' option and while it starts where i need it to, the stepover is offset and it's at a very different point at the bottom of the cylinder. 

Is there a way to get the tool to start at c0?

48 minutes ago, LucasGC said:

Yep, it worked great. and yeah the roughing toolpaths don't have tilt.

Next question kind of somewhat not really related: i'm using a morph toolpath to machine the sides of the cylinder, while keeping a 45 degree tilt away from the surface. that means each time my tool makes a full 360, so does my c-axis, and i don't have unlimited c. originally I wanted to use a zig-zag pattern and have my tool start at c0 and end at c360, then just reverse so i wouldn't have to have a c-unwind. i used the 'start point' option and while it starts where i need it to, the stepover is offset and it's at a very different point at the bottom of the cylinder. 

Is there a way to get the tool to start at c0?

There are things you can do in the morph toolpath, but you need to do certain things in a process to make it happen.

1 hour ago, LucasGC said:

maybe you could take a look and give me some tips? the start point doesn't give you many options to play with

stepover at c0.mcam

I split the model in half at the middle of the part. Not a perfect split, but gives you an idea on the way I would try to approach this. Have a good weekend.

5th Axis stepover at c0

• Like 1
On 1/4/2019 at 6:58 PM, 5th Axis CGI said:

I split the model in half at the middle of the part. Not a perfect split, but gives you an idea on the way I would try to approach this. Have a good weekend.

5th Axis stepover at c0

So i split my model in half but i also had to split all of my toolpaths in two. Now i'm able to have an op that has stepovers at 0 and 180, or 180 and 360. While this sort of works I would really like to find a way to do it with only one toolpath.

The reason that it's doing this is that it's approximating the start point as half way around each pass (as you've chosen with your start point selection).  It doesn't realize that you don't actually want that, you want to follow the surface UV (the grid that makes up the surface).

There's an option that does this, but it's apparently not enabled when the Morph toolpath is set to "exact" algorithm.  I'm not sure why, I'll have to look into it.  In the meantime, if you go back to the old algorithm (Cut Parameters > Advanced Options... > Step Over Calculation = Approximate), then look on the Start Point page:

image.png.d02e8455377d8c11541c6b91396101c2.png

That'll give you this:

image.png.c327b934c3549069b4902c4d1889cc01.png

Hope this helps!

• Like 2