Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Revolutionary Turning... Tizit HDT

In digging, it looks like it's a Hypermill developed module.

mkd suggested that, and a guy on FB suggested it too.

One of the vids shows the control is a Siemens, so whether it's a shopturn developed macro, as the machine looked like an Emco too, so it could be a joint thing?

But it is genuinely revolutionary IMO.

Is it just me or would it have been a much closer race had the conventional been programmed right?  I mean, it made a part but cut a good bit of air.

That aside, it is pretty dang cool.  I've tried to do similar in a Mazak but it took some trickery since I don't have the grinding option and can only G1 B axis in mill mode.  I did get the shape I needed but in hindsight I should have just 5axis milled it.

• Like 2

This is really nothing more than B axis turning, taken to a new level.

There is huge potenial to reduce cycle times though.

The ability to kick the insert over to get a 45 degree lead and high feed rate for roughing, 

then slowing down and rolling up to 87 degrees to do a 90 degree shoulder is huge.

This technolgy is limited by the size of the parts though.

The bigger the part the longer and weaker the tool holder.

1 hour ago, Newbeeee™ said:

Makes Sandvik prime look lame... :hrhr:

It's not an apples to apples comparison 

Prime Turning can run on any reasonablly rigid 2X lathe or VTL, and can do

both ID and OD work.

This new stuff is restricted to small OD work and requires a high end 5 axis lathe

7 hours ago, gcode said:

This is really nothing more than B axis turning, taken to a new level.

There is huge potenial to reduce cycle times though.

The ability to kick the insert over to get a 45 degree lead and high feed rate for roughing, 

then slowing down and rolling up to 87 degrees to do a 90 degree shoulder is huge.

This technolgy is limited by the size of the parts though.

The bigger the part the longer and weaker the tool holder.

Well, it isn't a B axis. Not sure what axis it is... whatever the axis name is for the tool spindle (machine manufacturer dependent I guess) :) . It would have to be a well specced B axis mill turning, that has multiple indexing on the tool spindle that's for sure.

Definitely pretty slick though.

3 hours ago, Mick said:

Well, it isn't a B axis. Not sure what axis it is... whatever the axis name is for the tool spindle (machine manufacturer dependent I guess) :) . It would have to be a well specced B axis mill turning, that has multiple indexing on the tool spindle that's for sure.

Definitely pretty slick though.

You are right.

The B axis on a traditional  5X lathe is not oriented properly. 

15 hours ago, gcode said:

You are right.

The B axis on a traditional  5X lathe is not oriented properly. 

I'm sure there is an axis designation for it on our U3000, though I'm pretty sure it is inaccessible for general coding. The spindle axis of rotation is about the X axis, so theoretically it would be an A axis (interestingly, both my Vericut and TopSolid U3000 models have the tool index spindle designated as A, but I guess it has to be called something 😂), but A isn't used on the machine. The index commands for the U3000 are pretty different to just a simple A. From memory, if the machine is optioned (ours is), you can have up to 12 indexes of the tool spindle, but I'm pretty sure that they are fixed angles.

I remember reading a few years ago about turning with what was essentially a round version of this.  Basically just a carbide cylinder with the end ground a bit concave, so the force goes into the tool axially.  They rotated it continually while cutting so as to always present a cool, edge to the work and to distribute the work along the whole circumference of the tool.  Supposedly they got great tool life and MRR.

Couldn't find anything on it now, but you can see the tool in the station above the first active tool here:

https://www.dmgmori.co.jp/en/theme/movie/id=1685

Edit:

Found it:

• Like 3
47 minutes ago, Matthew Hajicek™ - Conventus said:

I remember reading a few years ago about turning with what was essentially a round version of this.  Basically just a carbide cylinder with the end ground a bit concave, so the force goes into the tool axially.  They rotated it continually while cutting so as to always present a cool, edge to the work and to distribute the work along the whole circumference of the tool.  Supposedly they got great tool life and MRR.

Couldn't find anything on it now, but you can see the tool in the station above the first active tool here:

Edit:

Found it:

I forgot about that tool. I remember seeing the video.

On 1/6/2019 at 10:55 AM, jlw™ said:

Is it just me or would it have been a much closer race had the conventional been programmed right?  I mean, it made a part but cut a good bit of air.

Yeah, I always get a kick out of comparison videos. The competition usually is programmed so ineffective and slow against the new item that is revolutionary.

It's a cool concept for sure. But useless if all you have are standard 2ax lathes like we have.

18 minutes ago, Mr. M said:

And if you are doing much roughing and tight tolerance finishing it probably wouldn't perform so hot.

That was my thought. If you are using the same tool at different rotation positions for finishing, but in a multiaxis mode you loose you separate offsets for different features of the part. One offset to rule them all doesn't work very well in tight tolerance turning. 

2 hours ago, YoDoug® said:

That was my thought. If you are using the same tool at different rotation positions for finishing, but in a multiaxis mode you loose you separate offsets for different features of the part. One offset to rule them all doesn't work very well in tight tolerance turning. 

True, but for a machine of this type (B) you'd always want a lower (conventional) turret anyway wouldn't you?

Just so you can have your tight limit finishing tools?

On 1/7/2019 at 12:31 PM, Matthew Hajicek™ - Conventus said:

Edit:

Found it:

Esprit has a turning module for that. Touted as having great insert life since one spot (or tip) doesn't take all the wear. Seems revolutionary for Inconel, maybe?

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...