Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Create curve on one edge with section views

SlaveCam

46 minutes ago, Del. said:

Will Mastercam not allow you to split a sold anywhere you want to?

Yes, you can trim a solid with a plane or surface anywhere you like

Section Views ( a new feature in MC2019) splits a solid visually without actually modifying the solid

or wrecking toolpaths that are associated to the solid.

Because it is a virtual split, you cannot create an edge on the section view, because it's a virtual edge, not a real one 

3 minutes ago, gcode said:

Yes, you can trim a solid with a plane or surface anywhere you like

Section Views ( a new feature in MC2019) splits a solid visually without actually modifying the solid

or wrecking toolpaths that are associated to the solid.

Because it is a virtual split, you cannot create an edge on the section view, because it's a virtual edge, not a real one 

You would think there would be an option to save it as a real edge as a new file.

1 minute ago, Del. said:

You would think there would be an option to save it as a real edge as a new file.

to create an edge, you have to make a copy of the solid, physically trim it, then create the edge

Even SolidWorks can't do this from a section view, because everything in SW is associative.

If you created an edge on a sectioned view, then turned off the view, the defining geometry is gone

and the curve cannot exist.

4 minutes ago, gcode said:

to create an edge, you have to make a copy of the solid, physically trim it, then create the edge

Even SolidWorks can't do this from a section view, because everything in SW is associative.

If you created an edge on a sectioned view, then turned off the view, the defining geometry is gone

and the curve cannot exist.

I may just be confused but I know in Esprit I can create a copy of a solid and then split that solid anywhere I want and then delete the sections I dont want and create an edge on it.

2 minutes ago, Del. said:

I may just be confused but I know in Esprit I can create a copy of a solid and then split that solid anywhere I want and then delete the sections I dont want and create an edge on it.

You can physically do that in Mastercam as well.

Section View enables you to visually slice a solid with any plane in the Planes Manager.

The actual solid is not modified and you cannot create an edge on it because the edge really isn't there.

See

"C:\Program Files\Mcam2019\documentation\en-US\WhatsNew.pdf"

page 36 and 37

BTW, this is a very useful feature and one of the best upgrades in MC2019 IMO

Just now, gcode said:

You can physically do that in Mastercam as well.

Section View enables you to visually slice a solid with any plane in the Planes Manager.

The actual solid is not modified and you cannot create an edge on it because the edge really isn't there.

See

"C:\Program Files\Mcam2019\documentation\en-US\WhatsNew.pdf"

page 36 and 37

BTW, this is a very useful feature and one of the best upgrades in MC2019 IMO

Yeah I understand what you mean, but why cant the solid be modified?

Just now, Del. said:

Yeah I understand what you mean, but why cant the solid be modified?

The solid can be modified in any way you like.

an example

you are drilling a 5 axis hole in a part and want to cut the solid along the C/L of the hole so you have a better view of the drill breaking out at the bottom of the hole.

You can physically cut the solid and look at it.. but if that solid is driving toolpaths they will all all blow up when you cut it

or

you can make a copy of the solid and cut that... and create edge curves in the sliced solid

or, with the new section view, you can virtually slice the solid and see what you need to see without blowing up all your toolpaths

you cannot create edge curves, because the edges don't really exist, as the solid wasn't really sliced.

In this case you would need to create a surface on the slicing plane and use the Command "curve at intersection"

• Thanks 1