Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Opti Rough Stock

SRD93PGT

So I am sure I am doing something wrong or does this software really don't know what it has machined or what the stock is even though I defined it.  This is a simple part 3 operations in a vise customer needs 2 pieces.  I always make a solid of my stock and select it as my stock model.  First operation is fine, everything looks good.  Second operation,  added new plane and skewed X axis 10 degrees for a better fit inside some soft jaws.  First operation used Opti rough without selecting rest machining, tool is plowing into the stock.  Ok well lets setup rest machining.  Not sure why the "strategy" is greyed out and I have to use a " boundary chain" but try that out.  Now the tool wanted to helix into the center of the stock.  Its not coming from the outside.  Am I missing something?

image.thumb.png.954cf76e9b6c901ea333d86d1a33fde0.png

Opti Rough with stock model only, no rest machining.  Its hard to tell but it plowing through the stock.  Boundary chain is visible but not being used

image.png.0c0d1b782a4a27f97ae8cb1008b722d2.png

different view of toolpath above

image.png.8eb96690e9a6b396dd7e3a111d75da18.png

Opti Rough with boundary chain, stock is shown as well, both as the first op solid and the stock model 

OK so I got it to work, ignore the stock/ rest machining and use the boundary chain with out side strategy.  Boundary chain is my stock profile, never had to do this before but it worked so far.  Still not sure why we have to select all this wireframe when we define the stock model

• Like 1

I've seen this confusion quite a bit in forums over rest material with the tool starting inside. There is a special rule that isn't clearly defined when you use Optirest. The boundary chain must be used, and the strategy is locked to inside. All you have to do is select the compensate to, Outside and type in  value that at least exceed your tool size.

Edit: If you're an official Mastercam user on the website you can go to Univeristy.Mastercam.com,Mastercam Webinars 2017, Stock Model and Opti-Rough Webinar. It goes over in detail the problems you're seeing.