Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

CAD capability in Mastercam, add mechanisms/constraints to it

jlw™

So, I recently lost access to my seat of Solid Edge.  I rarely need it but it is an added software I need.  I imagine I am like most Mastercam users in that  I could do with more capability but I find ways around it.  The only real thing I'm missing for Mastercam being a one and done for me is mechanisms and constraints in assemblies.  I design fixturing all the time, occasionally I need to check the range of hydraulic clamps or other components.  I also do some design where I need to check movement of parts.  To make the long story shot, I'm asking every one who would like to add this capability to Mastercam to jump over to the official forum, hit this link (in the Beta forum): http://forum.mastercam.com/Topic30785.aspx and add your +1 to the enhancement request.  Yes, I realize there are other free to cheap softwares like Fusion or Alibre that will do this but I really don't want another software.

The R number is R-18660 if any one wants to get on board and does not have access to the Beta forum.

• Like 1

This is quite a massive request IMO. I don't think Mastercam will never beat a "real" modeling software and it should focus on the CAM side instead. Adding this feature would require some third party software middleware which would be very expensive.

Why did you lose the seat? Any chance of getting it back anytime soon?

This is one of those things I would be surprised to really ever see in Mastercam.

It would need to take them into the realm of a full blown CAD package....with that comes all of the other tools that design CAD users expect in the software they employ, otherwise, it would still just be a CAM system with some basic CAD functionality. While I agree it would be nice to have it become a parametric modeler, I just don't know how feasible it in the Mastercam world. I think Mastercam would have to be sold off for it to have any real chance at that, then the buyer would need to blend it into their package.

As we currently see in the world of CAM consolidation, many names are bought just to see them discontinued within a few versions.

JM3C

4 hours ago, SlaveCam said:

This is quite a massive request IMO. I don't think Mastercam will never beat a "real" modeling software and it should focus on the CAM side instead. Adding this feature would require some third party software middleware which would be very expensive.

Why did you lose the seat? Any chance of getting it back anytime soon?

We hired another engineer, not buying another seat.

9 hours ago, myemail said:

F that. We use a network key. The only way to create the entry code is to use a hasp key. Not worth the headache just to log onto that useless site. One more thing those geniuses screwed up.

Thanks for your positive input from start to end.

• Haha 4
7 hours ago, SlaveCam said:

Is it not possible to get a floating license so that you both can use it, just not at the same time? I would likely switch jobs if I couldn't design fixtures with Solidworks any longer.

5 hours ago, Roger said:

I agree with you on that one!!!!  Solidworks user here!!

I would like to have another software but like I said, the cost of a CAD package for no more than my needs cannot be justified.  I downloaded 2π Radians and that's what started me thinking.  It's actually pretty good and is taking over the world.  I don't like it or the subscription service business model.

4 hours ago, Jayson Kramer-CNC Software said:

jlw,
So you know the public cannot use your link. you need to be a beta tester with a login to get to that area. So if you hoping folks would add to this they are not able to.

I did state that but apparently I'm the only one who wants it any way.  I freaking hate the other sowftware (mostly the business model) but I'm pushed to use it now for lack of anything else.

On 1/10/2019 at 11:46 AM, SlaveCam said:

Is it not possible to get a floating license so that you both can use it, just not at the same time? I would likely switch jobs if I couldn't design fixtures with Solidworks any longer.

SW+MCAM is a must when you have to program medium to complex parts using fixtures

• Like 1