Lou Rael

setting spot drill depth by chamfer dia

Set the depth to the top of the surface to be chamfered, then click on the calculator button next to the depth box, set the diameter in there, set to "Add to"

You can also right click and select diameter of an arc to into the size field I think

This is one of those very basic and common operations that definitely should exist in Mastercam by default. Just enter chamfer size and the drill is driven to the proper depth. No user calculations. (fortunately is it a rather simple custom cycle to implement)

4 hours ago, SlaveCam said:

This is one of those very basic and common operations that definitely should exist in Mastercam by default. Just enter chamfer size and the drill is driven to the proper depth. No user calculations. (fortunately is it a rather simple custom cycle to implement)

There is that function with the depth calculator

• Like 2

How does Mastercam know what the web size is on the spot drill?

2 minutes ago, Tim Johnson said:

How does Mastercam know what the web size is on the spot drill?

You define a flat on the tool and save it to your library

3 minutes ago, Leon82 said:

You define a flat on the tool and save it to your library

I didn't know that. I assumed the spot drill parameters was what Mastercam went by.

Its been there for 20 years

depth calculator.PNG

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

I use it all the time.  As long as the tool is defined properly in Mastercam and is touched off right in the machine it'll be spot on.

1 hour ago, jlw™ said:

I use it all the time.  As long as the tool is defined properly in Mastercam and is touched off right in the machine it'll be spot on.

I see what you did right there. ;)

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Thad said:

I see what you did right there. ;)

I knew some one would get it! 😆

• Like 1

On 1/12/2019 at 5:35 PM, gcode said:

Its been there for 20 years

depth calculator.PNG

Thanks for the info. I asked this a few years back and got the impression that it isn't there. There are simply too many buttons for me to discover everything by myself. 🙂

On 1/12/2019 at 6:29 PM, jlw™ said:

only if they use the right tool.

me: why didn't you use the 1/8" sharp point tool that i gave you with the set-up sheet?

op: i already had a 1/4" with a .01 flat on it set up :wallbash:

IMHO, It's best to program to the theoretical point. (Zero flat)  drills, spot tools, chamfer mills.

The flat is an uncontrolled feature on a tool, like a reground tool or different tool mfr.

Theoretical point is a constant, worse case it will leave you safely above.  Our tool setter normally writes the distance on the tool sheet for TLO.

Its a rule here, Parts were scrapped because of this small issue. (swapping out a chamfer mill to be exact).   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CEMENTHEAD said:

IMHO, It's best to program to the theoretical point. (Zero flat)  drills, spot tools, chamfer mills.

The flat is an uncontrolled feature on a tool, like a reground tool or different tool mfr.

Theoretical point is a constant, worse case it will leave you safely above.  Our tool setter normally writes the distance on the tool sheet for TLO.

Its a rule here, Parts were scrapped because of this small issue. (swapping out a chamfer mill to be exact).   

This is a simple way to speed 1st piece setup and prevent scrap. Either calculate and comp to the theo tip one time when you put the tool in, or touch off the tool flat and then constantly be adjusting depths per program, creeping up on chamfer size, etc, and introduce the risk of scrap.