Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Flow 5 axis 2019

Slepydremr

Hey guys, it's been a while. I'm having some trouble with a part. 

We just updated to 2019 patch 3 and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong with this flow line path.

flow2_2018.thumb.jpg.63f611d27cc3175f5e95731fc665dd24.jpg

It's flow 5 axis, a simple surface and 2 lines for control. Works fine in 2018, and it looks right and posts right in 2019 up until you regen the path for any reason. then it changes and is no longer any good.

flow2_2019.thumb.jpg.ab30b801ae46a2a51bc8f70897d8696f.jpg

In 2018 it follows the vectors in and out, in 2019 it's choosing it's own vector, i cant figure out where it's coming from.

Anyone else ran into this, and know how to fix it?

Thanks in advance.

18_2018.mcam

Here is the file saved after being opened in 2019.

Sorry I no longer have 2018 on this computer so I couldn't edit out everything but the toolpath i'm having trouble with.

When you 1st open the file, the paths are good and will backplot and even post correctly. Once they are regened everything goes wonky.

I've tried playing with the Edge blend options on the entry exit tab, no luck so far. Not sure what else may have changed.

A little bit beside the point , but I noticed from your first pic that you have those little numbers appearing next to your ribbon functions . You can turn that off now in 2019 from 

"Customize the Ribbon...."

Untitled1.thumb.png.18a0032ed4225814c88ab61fd9223110.png

As for the problem at hand , I tried tweaking almost everything, but it just won't regen properly.  Also the problem persists in 2020. You'll have to send it to QC...

Gracjan

• Like 1

You are correct. Top WCS is the only plane that appears to work correctly. Even using Original Mastercam planes other than top will give undesired results.

I've recreated the file from scratch in 2019 and it does not work correctly except for in the Top WCS.

I've sent the files to my reseller, they're looking into it. I'll update this thread if anything interesting happens.

So, I'm not sure if this is a commonly told "warning" but you can get wacky results with 5 axis paths using WCS.  This is one of those cases.  If you translate your entities to TOP/TOP/TOP you get a good regen.  I know this suck, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do.  I use WCS where ever possible so that I can use one (or minimal) stock models.  I personally always copy solids, surface or whatever needed so that I can run 5 axis paths from Top/Top/Top.  I did get the same result on initial regen.  I translated then rotated so that the planes were correct for Top and got a good regen:

Capture.png

26 minutes ago, jlw™ said:

So 5 axis paths are going to work like they're supposed to with WCS now? 

Since X9 all of the 5 axis paths have worked in WCS.  That doesn't mean that there's not a defect here or there, though :)

If I recall for this particular part, we got bit by some changes made to the planes sub-system early in 2019.  A lot of the stuff we build on the toolpath side relies on referencing planes, of course.   We just didn't have this particular test in our automated test suite (a flow 5 axis in a non-top WCS with tilt set to lines) so we didn't catch it.   We have it in there now, though!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Aaron Eberhard - CNC Software said:

Since X9 all of the 5 axis paths have worked in WCS.  That doesn't mean that there's not a defect here or there, though :)

I guess I'm the weirdo that finds them.  I'll start forwarding it in as seems I never have any luck with 5 axis other than Top/Top/Top.

I accept the challenge of finding more for you. 🤣

I  remarked  also that 2020 TP5 ( there is nothing else new at the moment ,although the  familiar questionnaire  signaling a new version has already been sent  did not yet correct, so Chally 72 , what  2020 version are you on ?

But if Aaron says it's now OK in 2020 that's good enough for me...

Gracjan

I know at one time 5-axis paths didn't perform so well on parts in space. But we haven't had any issues in years. All of our parts are programmed out in aircraft coordinates.

The kicker is, we generally wait for 3 updates before we change versions because those are usually about as bug free as they'll get. I'd love to do beta testing, but our shop is often too busy to have time for bugs, reporting bugs and then waiting for a fix or doing a work around.

I do appreciate every ones help. No reply yet from the reseller, but I'll keep you updated if anything changes.

3 hours ago, Chally72 said:

I'm running a beta not released to the public. Aaron is correct. All is well! 

(Updated my signature to reflect how I know these things.)

Inside man that explains a lot. Thanks for clearing that up. Yes I use to have access to Alpha Software till someone got wind of it and closed that access. Have to thank them one day for kicking me out of the loop. ;);)