Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

2019 won't open Solidworks file sometimes.

rsbeadle

Good afternoon everyone. This might have been covered but I couldn't find anything in any search.

Sometimes when I open a .SLDPRT file from SolidWorks 2017 I get this error box:

image.png.76e920acb9198d55b46cd57b5dd5cf93.png 

It is a simple fix to open it in SolidWorks and save it again but it is a PITA. Is this a MasterCam Issue or a SolidWorks issue on the computer of the engineer that is saving the file?

If anyone has figured this out I would appreciate it if you would reply here or post a link of the posts that have addressed it before. Thanks

We've been back and forth with SolidWorks' support people on this and we're both puzzled about the steps that lead to a SLDPRT being saved in that state.

For some reason the file is being saved in a 'non-rebuilt' state so there is no data there where we expect to find it.

As you found, the workaround is opening it in SW again, rebuildiing, and resaving.

If you're generating these problematic SLDPRTs yourselves, pay attention to the 'build state' in SW when it gets saved.

If someone else is generating them for you, please ask them to do the same.

• 4 months later...

I am having an issue with mastercam 2020 and wondering if anyone has some input for me.  Just downloaded Mastercam2020 and Solidworks 2019.  If I launch mastercam2020 I can open a .sldprt file that was saved in solidworks 2017 version; but if I try to open a .sldprt file that was saved in solidworks 2019 version nothing happens.  

Thanks

21 hours ago, BSBlakeslee said:

I am having an issue with mastercam 2020 and wondering if anyone has some input for me.  Just downloaded Mastercam2020 and Solidworks 2019.  If I launch mastercam2020 I can open a .sldprt file that was saved in solidworks 2017 version; but if I try to open a .sldprt file that was saved in solidworks 2019 version nothing happens.  

Thanks

I just opened a SW 2019 file in MC 2020 with no issues. Maybe some setting. Perhaps try something different in Options before opening sldprt in Mastercam?

6 minutes ago, Dan_AKA_ROY said:

I just opened a SW 2019 file in MC 2020 with no issues. Maybe some setting. Perhaps try something different in Options before opening sldprt in Mastercam?

I tried merging a couple yesterday, then I tried opening them...nothing happened...

I downloaded the files in stp instead, opened fine....this happened to me after installing Update 3.1

On 6/12/2019 at 5:25 PM, BSBlakeslee said:

Thanks

Look on our mastercam.com forum for possible solutions. If you're importing models into SolidWorks with their '3D Interconnect' functionality turned on, and then saving as .SLDPRT or .SLDASM, we can't import those due to a shortcoming in the SolidWorks-provided software we use to open them.

• 3 months later...

One reason features might be missing is if cuts are applied to the assembly and not to the individual parts. The software SolidWorks provides us with to access their data does not support assembly-level features.

Can you attach or email a file to [email protected] (tell 'em Pete sent you)? Remember that if its an assembly you need to include all the component part and sub-assembly files as well.

Edited by Pete Rimkus from CNC Software Inc.
  • 1 month later...

I was having similar issues. I have been testing out Mastercam through the 2019 demo and it would import Solidworks 2017 parts, but after updating Solidworks to the 2019 version I was unable to open any new Solidworks parts. However I just tried saving a part as a "parasolid"  and they seem to open in Mastercam, so anyone having similar issues should give that a shot.

33 minutes ago, Pete Rimkus from CNC Software Inc. said:

Mastercam 2019 Update 3 was the 1st version to support import of SolidWorks 2019 files. (SW2019 was released AFTER MC2019).

Wait...so you're telling me that X5 can't open SW2020 files?  That kinda stinks   :D

I hope they patch that problem