mike561h

Mastercam 2018 -3 updates still wont open sld.prt

Recommended Posts

 i have no problem converting solidworks/ sld.prt in Mastercam on my seat.   We downloaded and installed 3 updates for MC18 on

My coworkers seat on  different computer.....,, opens up  nothing after converting....... Not even an error message.   Nothing shows up on the screen.

weird... Halloween is over.ūüė°

  • Huh? 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

emailed trevor and he thinks its the video card. but  its the same card  in my computer and i have no problems. any help will be appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you 100% sure that the computer with the issue is set to launch Mastercam with the Graphics Card???

Most systems will default to "Onboard graphics", which means that Mastercam launches without ever using your high-end card.

Right-Click on Desktop, and go to NVIDIA Control Panel (assuming you have an NVIDIA card?), and go to "Manage 3D Settings".

Under the "Global Presets", select a Profile for either Catia or Solidworks. (Dassualt Systems - CATIA Compatible). And set the preferred processor to "Higg-performance NVidia Processor".

Then, go to the 2nd Tab "Program Settings", and choose the "Add" button, then "Browse".

Navigate to:

C:\Program Files\Mcam2019

and select "Mastercam.exe".

Make sure it is set to "High-performance Nvidia".

Do the same process with:

C:\Program Files\Mcam2019\Extensions\CodeExpert.exe

and

C:\Program Files\Mcam2019\Extensions\ToolManager.exe

Make sure all three programs are set to use the Nvidia card...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, I have seen weird stuff from Mastercam, if the following permissions are not set:

C:\Program Files\Mcam2019     <---   Set this Folder to "Full Control" for the active user profile.

C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\Shared Mcam2019    <--- Full Control

C:\Users\<Your User Path>\My Mcam2019    <--- Full Control

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

Are you 100% sure that the computer with the issue is set to launch Mastercam with the Graphics Card???

Most systems will default to "Onboard graphics", which means that Mastercam launches without ever using your high-end card.

Right-Click on Desktop, and go to NVIDIA Control Panel (assuming you have an NVIDIA card?), and go to "Manage 3D Settings".

Under the "Global Presets", select a Profile for either Catia or Solidworks. (Dassualt Systems - CATIA Compatible). And set the preferred processor to "Higg-performance NVidia Processor".

Then, go to the 2nd Tab "Program Settings", and choose the "Add" button, then "Browse".

Navigate to:

C:\Program Files\Mcam2019

and select "Mastercam.exe".

Make sure it is set to "High-performance Nvidia".

Do the same process with:

C:\Program Files\Mcam2019\Extensions\CodeExpert.exe

and

C:\Program Files\Mcam2019\Extensions\ToolManager.exe

Make sure all three programs are set to use the Nvidia card...

 

ill check it out thanks.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

Under the "Global Presets", select a Profile for either Catia or Solidworks. (Dassualt Systems - CATIA Compatible). And set the preferred processor to "Higg-performance NVidia Processor".

I don't see anywhere to select the preferred processor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, So not a Guru said:

I don't see anywhere to select the preferred processor.

image.png.6024b8e75e349a73d60b43d223baf688.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 5th Axis CGI said:

image.png.6024b8e75e349a73d60b43d223baf688.png

I got that. I don't see where the And set the preferred processor to "Higg-performance NVidia Processor" is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, So not a Guru said:

I got that. I don't see where the And set the preferred processor to "Higg-performance NVidia Processor" is.

Not sure what he means with that wording, but what I showed you is all I am aware you can do in the Global Settings.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, 5th Axis CGI said:

Not sure what he means with that wording, but what I showed you is all I am aware you can do in the Global Settings.

I also don't see where this " Make sure it is set to "High-performance Nvidia". , is set. :unsure:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, So not a Guru said:

I also don't see where this " Make sure it is set to "High-performance Nvidia". , is set. :unsure:

I think you are talking about how to make sure that the computer is using the dedicated Video card being the Nvidia GPU and not the onboard.

we have under our "Knowledge Base Articles" page a article that covers this topic.

Link to article: https://kb.mastercam.com/KnowledgebaseArticle50338.aspx?Keywords=enable+graphics

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Jayson Kramer-CNC Software said:

I think you are talking about how to make sure that the computer is using the dedicated Video card being the Nvidia GPU and not the onboard.

we have under our "Knowledge Base Articles" page a article that covers this topic.

Link to article: https://kb.mastercam.com/KnowledgebaseArticle50338.aspx?Keywords=enable+graphics

 

I went into the BIOS and disabled the onboard video card so I don't have to choose which one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/17/2019 at 5:44 PM, mike561h said:

 i have no problem converting solidworks/ sld.prt in Mastercam on my seat.   We downloaded and installed 3 updates for MC18 on

My coworkers seat on  different computer.....,, opens up  nothing after converting....... Not even an error message.   Nothing shows up on the screen.

weird... Halloween is over.ūüė°

What version of SW did the SLDPRTs come from?

You're running MC2018 update 3 ... there's no support for SW 2019 SLDPRTs until MC2019 Update 3.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i was able to open the part file i was sent with no issues. mike, this has to be the graphics settings. email me your number. i will be working in north county today and may have time to stop by.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

mike...i tried to email mr. galey but his email bounced back. make sure that one of you guys sends me a direct phone number. ill do my best to get over there sometime close to noon, if not before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You need to talk to your salesman and tell him what you need.  When I had 2018, in my previous job, they sent a tech and he did some tingamajig  on the command line and then I could open SW files.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Trevor Bailey said:

mike...i tried to email mr. galey but his email bounced back. make sure that one of you guys sends me a direct phone number. ill do my best to get over there sometime close to noon, if not before.

sent you a email with phone

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The video card is AMD Radeon HD 8570 Graphics card. I have the same in my station and I have no problems with

converting Solids works 2018 sldprt  file into MC18

 

thanks,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Pete Rimkus from CNC Software Inc. said:

What version of SW did the SLDPRTs come from?

You're running MC2018 update 3 ... there's no support for SW 2019 SLDPRTs until MC2019 Update 3.

we upgraded to solidworks 2018  last year

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe only MC2018 Update 3 supports importing of files from SW 2018. Please check that your co-worker is up to Update 3.

If he/she is, then it might be this sepatrate problem...

There is a .DLL that both SW and MC use that sometimes get in conflict with the versions of MC and SW being run.

Use the process to re-register the dll for Mastercam...

  • Shutdown Mastercam go into Windows Start Button > Mastercam 2018 > Advanced Configuration > Click on Componenets
  • Navigate to...C:\Program Files\mcam2018\common\SWORKSDATA
  • Right-click on SWDocumentMgr.DLL and choose "Register"

Then restart MC and try again to open the SLDPRTs.

There are other posts on this forum which point you in that direction.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/7/2019 at 5:21 AM, Pete Rimkus from CNC Software Inc. said:

I believe only MC2018 Update 3 supports importing of files from SW 2018. Please check that your co-worker is up to Update 3.

If he/she is, then it might be this sepatrate problem...

There is a .DLL that both SW and MC use that sometimes get in conflict with the versions of MC and SW being run.

Use the process to re-register the dll for Mastercam...

  • Shutdown Mastercam go into Windows Start Button > Mastercam 2018 > Advanced Configuration > Click on Componenets
  • Navigate to...C:\Program Files\mcam2018\common\SWORKSDATA
  • Right-click on SWDocumentMgr.DLL and choose "Register"

Then restart MC and try again to open the SLDPRTs.

There are other posts on this forum which point you in that direction.

Trevor fixed it in house... All is good. Great Job!!!   Its above my Taco Tech level...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Join us!

eMastercam - your online source for all things Mastercam.

Together, we are the strongest Mastercam community on the web with over 56,000 members, and our online store offers a wide selection of training materials for all applications and skill levels.

Follow us