Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mastercam 2018 -3 updates still wont open sld.prt

mike561h

i have no problem converting solidworks/ sld.prt in Mastercam on my seat.   We downloaded and installed 3 updates for MC18 on

My coworkers seat on  different computer.....,, opens up  nothing after converting....... Not even an error message.   Nothing shows up on the screen.

weird... Halloween is over.😡

• Huh? 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Are you 100% sure that the computer with the issue is set to launch Mastercam with the Graphics Card???

Most systems will default to "Onboard graphics", which means that Mastercam launches without ever using your high-end card.

Right-Click on Desktop, and go to NVIDIA Control Panel (assuming you have an NVIDIA card?), and go to "Manage 3D Settings".

Under the "Global Presets", select a Profile for either Catia or Solidworks. (Dassualt Systems - CATIA Compatible). And set the preferred processor to "Higg-performance NVidia Processor".

Then, go to the 2nd Tab "Program Settings", and choose the "Add" button, then "Browse".

Navigate to:

C:\Program Files\Mcam2019

and select "Mastercam.exe".

Make sure it is set to "High-performance Nvidia".

Do the same process with:

C:\Program Files\Mcam2019\Extensions\CodeExpert.exe

and

C:\Program Files\Mcam2019\Extensions\ToolManager.exe

Make sure all three programs are set to use the Nvidia card...

Also, I have seen weird stuff from Mastercam, if the following permissions are not set:

C:\Program Files\Mcam2019     <---   Set this Folder to "Full Control" for the active user profile.

C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\Shared Mcam2019    <--- Full Control

C:\Users\<Your User Path>\My Mcam2019    <--- Full Control

39 minutes ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

Are you 100% sure that the computer with the issue is set to launch Mastercam with the Graphics Card???

Most systems will default to "Onboard graphics", which means that Mastercam launches without ever using your high-end card.

Right-Click on Desktop, and go to NVIDIA Control Panel (assuming you have an NVIDIA card?), and go to "Manage 3D Settings".

Under the "Global Presets", select a Profile for either Catia or Solidworks. (Dassualt Systems - CATIA Compatible). And set the preferred processor to "Higg-performance NVidia Processor".

Then, go to the 2nd Tab "Program Settings", and choose the "Add" button, then "Browse".

Navigate to:

C:\Program Files\Mcam2019

and select "Mastercam.exe".

Make sure it is set to "High-performance Nvidia".

Do the same process with:

C:\Program Files\Mcam2019\Extensions\CodeExpert.exe

and

C:\Program Files\Mcam2019\Extensions\ToolManager.exe

Make sure all three programs are set to use the Nvidia card...

ill check it out thanks.

24 minutes ago, So not a Guru said:

I also don't see where this " Make sure it is set to "High-performance Nvidia". , is set. :unsure:

I think you are talking about how to make sure that the computer is using the dedicated Video card being the Nvidia GPU and not the onboard.

we have under our "Knowledge Base Articles" page a article that covers this topic.

Link to article: https://kb.mastercam.com/KnowledgebaseArticle50338.aspx?Keywords=enable+graphics

34 minutes ago, Jayson Kramer-CNC Software said:

I think you are talking about how to make sure that the computer is using the dedicated Video card being the Nvidia GPU and not the onboard.

we have under our "Knowledge Base Articles" page a article that covers this topic.

Link to article: https://kb.mastercam.com/KnowledgebaseArticle50338.aspx?Keywords=enable+graphics

I went into the BIOS and disabled the onboard video card so I don't have to choose which one.

On 1/17/2019 at 5:44 PM, mike561h said:

i have no problem converting solidworks/ sld.prt in Mastercam on my seat.   We downloaded and installed 3 updates for MC18 on

My coworkers seat on  different computer.....,, opens up  nothing after converting....... Not even an error message.   Nothing shows up on the screen.

weird... Halloween is over.😡

What version of SW did the SLDPRTs come from?

You're running MC2018 update 3 ... there's no support for SW 2019 SLDPRTs until MC2019 Update 3.

I believe only MC2018 Update 3 supports importing of files from SW 2018. Please check that your co-worker is up to Update 3.

If he/she is, then it might be this sepatrate problem...

There is a .DLL that both SW and MC use that sometimes get in conflict with the versions of MC and SW being run.

Use the process to re-register the dll for Mastercam...

• Shutdown Mastercam go into Windows Start Button > Mastercam 2018 > Advanced Configuration > Click on Componenets
  • Navigate to...C:\Program Files\mcam2018\common\SWORKSDATA
  • Right-click on SWDocumentMgr.DLL and choose "Register"

Then restart MC and try again to open the SLDPRTs.

There are other posts on this forum which point you in that direction.

• Haha 1
On 2/7/2019 at 5:21 AM, Pete Rimkus from CNC Software Inc. said:

I believe only MC2018 Update 3 supports importing of files from SW 2018. Please check that your co-worker is up to Update 3.

If he/she is, then it might be this sepatrate problem...

There is a .DLL that both SW and MC use that sometimes get in conflict with the versions of MC and SW being run.

Use the process to re-register the dll for Mastercam...

• Shutdown Mastercam go into Windows Start Button > Mastercam 2018 > Advanced Configuration > Click on Componenets
  • Navigate to...C:\Program Files\mcam2018\common\SWORKSDATA
  • Right-click on SWDocumentMgr.DLL and choose "Register"

Then restart MC and try again to open the SLDPRTs.

There are other posts on this forum which point you in that direction.

Trevor fixed it in house... All is good. Great Job!!!   Its above my Taco Tech level...

• Like 1