Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Is Mastercam more sitting or standing up work?

Cullen

1 hour ago, Cullen said:

Considering learning mastercam but have a issue with being on my feet all day per being crashed into 3 times in 3 years. Wondering what % of a mastercam job consists on standing? For long times?

Mastercam programming itself requires 0.0% standing, for creating NC Programs, since the work is computer work. But, at some point you will have to load the program on the machine and run it. I've worked at places where the running of a new job was someone else's responsibility, but most programmers I know also do machine setups and run the 1st part through inspection. So that part of the job does require some standing. I'd estimate less than 10% total standing, but it also tends to go in spurts. It might be a week or two at the computer, then 1-4 days at the machine. It will also depend on the type of work you do. Look into Aerospace for a stable job.

• Like 1

It can be a sitting only position but it would have to be for a company that employs programmers only as programmers.

Generally speaking, to land a job like that requires years of machining experience, which means being on your feet a lot...

Many smaller shops will have machinists who also program, that can mean a good deal of time on your feet...

As you're asking the question, I'm going to "assume" you don't have any real manufacturing experience behind you....if that's accurate, considering your situation and what you'd need to most likely need to do to be successful as a desk jockey only, I would suggest a different path...simply because you won't have the ability to do the necessary floor time.

I could stay at my desk all week and never get up, but I prefer to run my own set-up and first piece. We have guys for it but, I like to know how my cuts are going first hand. Alot of times a good machinist will make changes to a program on the fly and you will never know what they did. I would rather make the changes myself.. We have an inhouse Catia/Solidworks engineer that is practically handcuffed to his desk though, so if your looking for desk work that might be the direction to go. All he does is verify files, make blueprints and the occasional model.. Pretty posh job.

its whatever you want it to be, Since its software on a computer you can place your computer on a stand up desk, we have a few guys around our office that like them and they are better for health than sitting all day. For me I like my sit down or traditional desk because its very roomy for all the junk that i have around my computer and we have nice comfy chairs here that have nice airflow and are all day sitting type office chairs not a cheapo chair so its completely up to you on how you want to work on mastercam. 

Whatever you do, i would suggest spending a bit more to make comfort a priority if you plan on using the software a lot. hope this helps

oh i think i better understand your question now after re-reading this. It will depend on the shop that employs you, some shops might need to make more cnc programs than others due to how much repeat work or how large the order size is. So in my opinion, some shops cnc programmers spend much much more of their day programming and sitting down in front of a computer than other shops, there are just a lot of factors and a lot of shops do things different than one another. another example is some shops hire dedicated programmers along with operators, with this type of environment a majority or all programs are written from the programming team and the operating team run the parts so typically theses shops may have people in front of computers all day and others standing all day whereas other shops may have the same guy that programs the part run the part so that individual may see a mix of standing and sitting. your best bet is to research the company you are looking to be employed with and see what they are doing.

• Like 1

I spent enough years standing in front of machines that I still have foot problems from 12 hour days on concrete.

Now I am a full time programmer who sits all day. My shop is huge, 350K square feet over 3 building and despite

sitting most of the time I still log 1 or 2 miles a day walking the shop to check on things.

The programming department is also on the 2nd floor some I'm up and down stairs all day.

Some of the guys here have standup desks, but after the novelty wore off, they mostly sit all day.

48 minutes ago, gcode said:

I spent enough years standing in front of machines that I still have foot problems from 12 hour days on concrete.

Now I am a full time programmer who sits all day. My shop is huge, 350K square feet over 3 building and despite

sitting most of the time I still log 1 or 2 miles a day walking the shop to check on things.

The programming department is also on the 2nd floor some I'm up and down stairs all day.

Some of the guys here have standup desks, but after the novelty wore off, they mostly sit all day.

that is how it was with some of our guys that bought the stand up desks, a lot of them stood in front of the stand up desk at first and now i think they all sit again so i think the stand up desk was just a novelty for us as well. 

9 minutes ago, JoshC said:

and now i think they all sit again so i think the stand up desk was just a novelty for us as well. 

and since the stand up desk sits on top of the regular desk and raises their monitors about 5" they are all getting sore necks looking up at the monitors

:rolleyes:

• Haha 1