Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

DNC to machine

AMCNitro

I have a machine with not a lot of memory and I'm doing very detail mold work.    I have to DNC to the machine, I got that part working,  The problem I'm having is that when the software (CIMCO) reaches the M30 it severs the connection and the machine cant continue reading the program.  What am I doing wrong?

16 minutes ago, AMCNitro said:

I have a machine with not a lot of memory and I'm doing very detail mold work.    I have to DNC to the machine, I got that part working,  The problem I'm having is that when the software (CIMCO) reaches the M30 it severs the connection and the machine cant continue reading the program.  What am I doing wrong?

The "M30" is literally 'Reset and Rewind' the NC Tape. This should be the last command in your program when the program is in Memory.

"M2" should stop the program without triggering a Reset.

2 minutes ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

The "M30" is literally 'Reset and Rewind' the NC Tape. This should be the last command in your program when the program is in Memory.

"M2" should stop the program without triggering a Reset.

So, delete the M30 and replace it with and M2?

3 minutes ago, Dan_AKA_ROY said:

I'd try that and see. Won't hurt.

I drip feed our VMC (older fanuc controller) using MachLink DNC software. Program ends in M30 with no issues for me..But, every situation is different.

thats what i was thinking lol, i would have already tried that suggestion on my machine rather than asking him to clarify since i could probably test quicker than typing up the second question, but that is just me.

This guy https://www.easydnc.com/forum/repeatative-drip-feeding-issue.php seems to have the same problem, the last suggestion made was to turn on the "Wait for XOn" and no responses after that so if you are lucky maybe that will be the fix. That settign is just a checkbox in cimco if you want to give it a try, I dont know much about it though but if i was in your shoes i thing it would be worth trying if nothing else seems to work. that setting in cimco is under DNC setup on the Transmit page. I hope this helps, if it does please let us know so I can keep this in my bag of tricks.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, JoshC said:

thats what i was thinking lol, i would have already tried that suggestion on my machine rather than asking him to clarify since i could probably test quicker than typing up the second question, but that is just me.

I have to wait till I need to do it again.  I'll also try the Wait for XOn setting.  

Thank you!

1 hour ago, AMCNitro said:

So, delete the M30 and replace it with and M2?

You can try that, but I'm a little unsure of the actual problem you are encountering, so I don't want to steer you in the wrong direction.

1. The specific brand of Control will have a huge affect on the settings and parameters for DNC.
  2. You mentioned "I have DNC to the machine, I have that part working", but I'm not sure it is actually working, because I don't know how you are setup.
  3. There are several configurations of "handshaking", which are the signals sent over the DNC Cable, between the computer and the machine.
  4. One method of DNC (simplest, but least reliable) uses only a 3 wire connection. The other methods use 5 or 7 wire connections, depending on the machine. The 3 wire usually uses "software handshaking", since the on/off codes aren't configured to use the extra pins (5 or 7 uses these).
  5. If you are using the 5 or 7 pin types, you can use "hardware handshaking", where the Machine's Control Unit is sending the "transmit or receive" codes, to signal the Computer to send data. This is also known as "xon" and "xoff" codes.
  6. The DNC Software itself (depending on brand), can be setup to insert or strip certain character codes from the transmission, depending on the needs of your individual control.
  7. The "M30" command is typically only found at the very tail end of any NC Program File. This signals the machine that you are "done". Where are you seeing the M30? Is that code supposed to do something else on your machine? Are you encountering the issue you are having when you are actually done (finished) running a tool, after the tool has retracted, or is this a problem in the middle of the program? I read your statement again, and I believe that handshaking is what is needed here to keep Cimco from stopping the transmission.
  8. Are you saying the DNC is running, and the machine hasn't finished running all the code, but Cimco just exits? I think you need to fix the Handshaking to solve that...

AMC Nitro , we have yet to find out the control on your machine...... 

Also  the other thing that we are all guessing here , but have not been  told by You is , WHERE DOES THIS M30  pop up?.

In our opinion you should only have ONE M30 in your program  and that is at the literally very end of your program .  The M30 is  the same as in walkie talkie language "over and out" .  Usually there is silence after that . The most you want here is an "over" utterance.   That would be  an "M2". 

Since you seem to have  a problem that would suggest  that the M30 is issued  in other places of the program  other than the very  end.  

SO get rid of all these M30 codes , because they seem to be used incorrectly and maybe leave the very last one , just before you hit the percent sign if your program is  Fanuc styled....

But this is all guess work , since we lack info from You....

22 hours ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

You can try that, but I'm a little unsure of the actual problem you are encountering, so I don't want to steer you in the wrong direction.

1. The specific brand of Control will have a huge affect on the settings and parameters for DNC.
  2. You mentioned "I have DNC to the machine, I have that part working", but I'm not sure it is actually working, because I don't know how you are setup.
  3. There are several configurations of "handshaking", which are the signals sent over the DNC Cable, between the computer and the machine.
  4. One method of DNC (simplest, but least reliable) uses only a 3 wire connection. The other methods use 5 or 7 wire connections, depending on the machine. The 3 wire usually uses "software handshaking", since the on/off codes aren't configured to use the extra pins (5 or 7 uses these).
  5. If you are using the 5 or 7 pin types, you can use "hardware handshaking", where the Machine's Control Unit is sending the "transmit or receive" codes, to signal the Computer to send data. This is also known as "xon" and "xoff" codes.
  6. The DNC Software itself (depending on brand), can be setup to insert or strip certain character codes from the transmission, depending on the needs of your individual control.
  7. The "M30" command is typically only found at the very tail end of any NC Program File. This signals the machine that you are "done". Where are you seeing the M30? Is that code supposed to do something else on your machine? Are you encountering the issue you are having when you are actually done (finished) running a tool, after the tool has retracted, or is this a problem in the middle of the program? I read your statement again, and I believe that handshaking is what is needed here to keep Cimco from stopping the transmission.
  8. Are you saying the DNC is running, and the machine hasn't finished running all the code, but Cimco just exits? I think you need to fix the Handshaking to solve that...

Its a Haas control.  The M30 is where it should be.  Ill try to explain it again.  I set the machine up to receive data, then I go to the computer and use Cimco Edit to drip feed the program to the machine.  The problem I'm having is that once Cimco Edit gets to the end of the program, which is where the M30 is, it stops sending data to the machine.  The machine then sits on the last line of code it received.