Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

mastercam 2019 slow at opening files

Tim Pruett

My mastercam 2019 is super slow at opening files. I done a little test and opened a file on our wire guys computer (he's running 2019 as well). It only took 55 seconds to open. His computer is pretty old and not nearly as good as mine. The only difference I can think of other than that is that he's not running windows 10.

The same file on my computer took 2 min and 35 sec. Here's my computer information. I've tried everything I can think of to solve this issue. This file was only 43,818,kb. I have some files that are much larger that take 20 minutes plus to open. It's getting embarrassing, whenever I have my boss and a customer standing over my shoulder watching me open a file and they have to take a coffee break while the file opens. Pllleeeaaaassssseeee help.

Thanks, Tim

COMPINFO.PNG.c691e362388fed37369c78c72b3cb456.PNG

I have found 2019 to be considerably slower opening larger files (100+ megs)...I have a solidstate drive....a local installation on files on the solidstat drive, 32 gigs K4000 Videocard

I have tried opening same file across the network and local......no discernible noted difference

I have just chalked it up to slow performance plain and simple

Not griping about just fetting the job done as I can

• Thanks 1

OK, I tried opening the file with the shading turned off and the chord height set to .002. It shaved off 5 seconds. This is extremely frustrating. I guess I'm just going to have to deal with it until mastercam fixes this HUGE problem. I'm sure there's plenty of other people out there using windows 10 now.

I'm also running a solid state hard drive. The computer they got me was a lot of money. I was complaining all the time about my old one taking forever to do everything so they bought me a really good one. We talked to our reseller and gave that information to our IT guy and he ordered it. It's so frustrating that it's not much better than what I had. Spaceclaim works much faster but mastercam is still performing poorly.

If this is something that can be solved by mastercam, they really need to do so as quickly as possible.

Thanks for the responses,

Tim

Is the file you're opening actually on your hard drive, or are you opening from a network location? Have you tried deleting or moving your config files and letting Mastercam recreate the defaults, and then attempted to open? (C:\Users\yourusernamehere\Documents\my mcam2019\CONFIG) 

What kind of solid state hard drive? The words 'SSD' do not always mean lightning fast depending on what was purchased and how it is interfaced. If you are happy with file open times in other softwares though, I would consider this the least likely culprit.

Chally72,

I haven't tried resetting the config to default yet. The file I've been using for testing is on my hard drive. my ssd drive is as follows,

COMPINFO2.PNG.93ebc02b49d3c25562c64a706193d4e8.PNG

I did try saving the file I've been using for testing as a Parasolid, I then opened the Parasolid in mastercam and it opened in 19 seconds, a huge difference. It was taking almost 2 minutes to open. I then resaved that file as a mastercam file and opened it and it took only 16 seconds. So I went back to the original file that had been taking 2 minutes to open and deleted all of the solid history and resaved it. I then opened it and it took 2:45 seconds. (WORSE)  I'm so confused as to what to do now.

I did try setting my config identical to the wire operators config, page by page, and it made absolutely no difference. The only other thing I can think of is that I had the beta version installed on my computer and he didn't. I may have screwed up the install also. It's just not as easy as it use to be to do and install and migrate all of your info from the previous version. I still have my mastercam 2018 on my computer as well. Could someone explain how to reinstall 2019 and migrate all of my settings flawlessly. I'm not sure if I need to go to this extreme or not. I don't want to waste time. What do you guys think?

Tim

45 minutes ago, Tim Pruett said:

I did try saving the file I've been using for testing as a Parasolid, I then opened the Parasolid in mastercam and it opened in 19 seconds, a huge difference. It was taking almost 2 minutes to open. I then resaved that file as a mastercam file and opened it and it took only 16 seconds. So I went back to the original file that had been taking 2 minutes to open and deleted all of the solid history and resaved it. I then opened it and it took 2:45 seconds. (WORSE)  I'm so confused as to what to do now.

Try exporting your MC solid as a parasolid, delete the MC model, then import the parasolid back in

Ok, I tried saving the file using save as and save some and opened them back up. Both options took 42 seconds to open. So "save as" and "save some" yield the same results. I wish we still had ram save, I would try that. I'm not sure what the problem is. If it's a windows 10 compatibility issue I hope they fix it soon. The computer I have should be running like a scalded ape. Going home for the weekend.

Thanks for the help,

Tim

Just to update after exploring this a little further with Tim- the culprit in the file was mainly hardware- springs and bolts and such- that was accounting for a massive chunk of the load time. Exporting this hardware to parasolid simplifies it in some manner that we don't do with optimize or other tools, and allows us to reimport it into the file and reduce load times to more reasonable levels.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Chally72 said:

the culprit in the file was mainly hardware- springs and bolts

a bunch of bolts in an assembly can kill just about any software the threads on the bolts can slow things to a crawl

When I'm building SolidWorks Assemblies, I suppress the thread helix feature which helps a lot