Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Multiaxis Deburr toolpath issues

Metallic

not usin

46 minutes ago, 5th Axis CGI said:

I would not use the automatic edge detection in this case. Also what edges are you specifically trying to deburr? Thank you for uploading the file really helps to see what your trying to do.

Ive been avoiding autodetection and just manually select. I am trying to deburr everything except the back face...IE the whole slot, the base of the slot, and the holes around the slot. Just the outside generally speaking.

I select the surfaces and the edges, it just doesnt work.

I looked at this a little more. You cannot get a good solid chamfer to take on this part. I did a solid fillet on it of .005 and seen all the difference that produces.

I think this shape is just too much for the software to handle. I would suggest breaking it up per section and see if you can get what you after. I have ways to accomplish what your after, but some of those edges from a practical stand point just don't lend themselves to a single edge break. I think a surface tool path would yeild better DFM. Just because we think we can doesn't always mean we should and I wouldn't try to use deburr on some of those areas.

Hopefully someone from CNC Software will review this and give us their input on it.

• Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, Metallic said:

Thanks for the input Ron, I was originally trying to get an automated solution but hand breaking the edges might just be what the answer is. Cheers

I like simple and easy solutions, but sometimes you just have to do what you need to get the job done. Sorry I don't have a better answer. 

7 hours ago, 5th Axis CGI said:

I like simple and easy solutions, but sometimes you just have to do what you need to get the job done. Sorry I don't have a better answer. 

As do I...I was excited about this toolpath in 2019 but I have yet to have success with it. I do hope CNC chimes in and helps us better understand it. I haven’t found much online outside of the “What’s New” video...

I’ve tried just selecting a single hole and using this but it doesn’t work, so I wonder if I am making a mistake. This has been on multiple 3+2 and also simultaneous toolpaths and parts.

Ron, would you be projecting curves and also just doing simple plane transforms with 3D chamfering?

9 hours ago, Metallic said:

As do I...I was excited about this toolpath in 2019 but I have yet to have success with it. I do hope CNC chimes in and helps us better understand it. I haven’t found much online outside of the “What’s New” video...

I’ve tried just selecting a single hole and using this but it doesn’t work, so I wonder if I am making a mistake. This has been on multiple 3+2 and also simultaneous toolpaths and parts.

Ron, would you be projecting curves and also just doing simple plane transforms with 3D chamfering?

Well no. The process I developed years ago was the make a surface model and chamfer the surface model. I would then offset the chamfers the radius of the tool. I would then use curve flowline to create a perfect center line to drive the ball endmill I was using for the chamfer. Then I would use 3D contour no comp, but then in the depth set a minus value the radius of the tool. Now I have driven the chamfer toolpath to the exact edge I need. Where it is really slick is where a chamfer fades off into a part into nothing. People are always blown away you can deburr down to nothing and get a good toolpath. It is all the deburr toolpath is doing. It is talking all that work and doing it for you when it works. When it doesn't then you have to just math and geometry to do it for it.

Other way is to surface machine it.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, 5th Axis CGI said:

Been doing that for a long time and it does an excellent job.

I never found a use for setting morph to just 1 cut, until now. I would have used a Curve toolpath or project curve toolpath and probably got similar results but this just seems like a really easy method.

I took a look at this file, and I don't think you're going to have success the way you've defined the faces and such.     The way this toolpath works is to figure out a sharp edge from what you give it.   Unfortunately, with just these two faces, there's more questions than answers :)

image.png.492fccdb21637d400ca0bbefeb6635f4.png 

Think of this as if you had made a model with just those two surfaces (create surfaces from solid, for example).  This is what you're feeding the algorithm:

image.png.a8feff525e09f62ac0f5f09dfe18e5e9.png

Eww.

A better way to go about it is to just select the entire model.  I wasn't sure which toolpath you were dealing with, so I just chose the last one, #20.  I unselected your two faces and just selected the whole model which gave me this: 

image.png.02e9e9259cff7dc4d9a543b8fe3fc020.png

It looked like you were really just trying to trace the slot edges, so I chose those as my "User defined" edges:

image.png.4664fe484bd492b78fc2c5d68f87ca7d.png

I also set it to 3 axis, because I believe that's what you were gunning for?

image.png.1d82e6dcf0d6b8e6cf5b168956a9c721.png image.png.70ad4d665d740b31b0a67198ba15fc24.png

As a side note, there were lots of improvements to Deburr in 2019 Update 3, so I'd encourage you to use that if it's available.    There were heaps more in 2020, so that'll be the choice once it's in public beta.    Here's 2020, all I did was open the file and regen Op #20:

image.png.3155fda824311a647b5e1dd709cbce2b.png

Hope this helps!

sleeve2 - update.emcam

• Like 3

I managed to get a Deburr toolpath similar to Aaron's above using Mastercam2019.  I've found this toolpath typically works best when you select the whole model when you pick the part surfaces and to define the edges you want to deburr.  

See the attached part with toolpaths on it.  

Ron thats a really neat trick for accomplishing pretty much the same thing as the deburr toolpath.  

sleeve2 - update2.emcam

4 minutes ago, Chris Lang In-House Solutions said:

Ron that's a really neat trick for accomplishing pretty much the same thing as the deburr toolpath. 

When you been doing it a day or two and these toolpaths didn't exist you figured out how to get it done. I like the deburr toolpaths they are great and glad Aaron and yourself had to time to dig into and help sort it out. Really no different than the rib cut on flowline if you know how to model your parts. You can to it with 5 Axis Parallel also using 1 cut again have to have the edge to drive the toolpath. Deburr eliminates a lot of steps and glad it is maturing like other areas of the software. ;)

You guys were very helpful in this case, I also am pretty looking forward to the 2020 release.

The main reason I wanted to output it as a 5ax toolpath was to automate it, but now i see just outputting in 3ax with a few different planes would be the way to go in the case.

Thanks again for all the help

• 1 year later...
On 1/28/2019 at 11:20 AM, Aaron Eberhard - CNC Software said:

I took a look at this file, and I don't think you're going to have success the way you've defined the faces and such.     The way this toolpath works is to figure out a sharp edge from what you give it.   Unfortunately, with just these two faces, there's more questions than answers :)

image.png.492fccdb21637d400ca0bbefeb6635f4.png 

Think of this as if you had made a model with just those two surfaces (create surfaces from solid, for example).  This is what you're feeding the algorithm:

image.png.a8feff525e09f62ac0f5f09dfe18e5e9.png

Eww.

A better way to go about it is to just select the entire model.  I wasn't sure which toolpath you were dealing with, so I just chose the last one, #20.  I unselected your two faces and just selected the whole model which gave me this: 

image.png.02e9e9259cff7dc4d9a543b8fe3fc020.png

It looked like you were really just trying to trace the slot edges, so I chose those as my "User defined" edges:

image.png.4664fe484bd492b78fc2c5d68f87ca7d.png

I also set it to 3 axis, because I believe that's what you were gunning for?

image.png.1d82e6dcf0d6b8e6cf5b168956a9c721.png image.png.70ad4d665d740b31b0a67198ba15fc24.png

As a side note, there were lots of improvements to Deburr in 2019 Update 3, so I'd encourage you to use that if it's available.    There were heaps more in 2020, so that'll be the choice once it's in public beta.    Here's 2020, all I did was open the file and regen Op #20:

image.png.3155fda824311a647b5e1dd709cbce2b.png

Hope this helps!

sleeve2 - update.emcam

Hi guys, I'm encountering some issues using multiaxis deburing toolpath on 2020. Was trying to download the file you were so kind to post, but it wont let me open an educational file? any solution? thanks in advance