Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mastercam in Solidworks

JAMES GABEL

1 minute ago, JAMES GABEL said:

I have a question about mastercam in solidworks.  If the model changes in solidworks does it update the mastercam program?

Yes.. if you are using the model to drive a toolpath and change the model, the toolpath will go dirty

After regen, it will conform to the edited model

Personally, I can’t stand it compared to using Standalone MC. I teach MCfSW to college students. Then again I am not a guru in SW and mainly use the basic stuff for modeling, etc. I just like drawing and sketching a whole lot better in MC and to me, it makes more sense. Auxillary and ref geometry is just easier in MC

i wish model associativity could be a thing in MC standalone, like, let’s say a ‘referenced’ model changes within its CAD program, is then saved, and then it (Mastercam) can see that it was updated within the windows file explorer and it would then update the MC geometry/solid to reflect those changes and you could regenerate. 

This assumes the model is changed on the same computer. Not really practical perhaps, but still on my wishlist 

My general manager wants me to look into going to camworks because it is integrated into solidworks and will communicate with each other.   The other programmer here mentioned to me about mastercam in solidworks and was wondering if we should look into that.  The general manager wants one software that will do every department and talk to design also.  We have been using Mastercam for many years and would love if Mastercam stand alone would talk to design.  I also use Featurecam and that software will tell if a model that I brought in has changed.  Just trying to gather information from real professionals(all of us programmers) not salesman.   

On 1/31/2019 at 7:54 AM, Aaron Eberhard - CNC Software said:

You may want to look into "change recognition" if you haven't before, Metallic.  Obviously, there's limitations if the changes are too great, but it will often work very well if all of the solid faces still retain their original IDs and such.

I didnt even realize this was a thing, thanks Aaron, I will give it a go. It will probably prove pretty useful since our prototype designers update frequently before the final revisions have been made.

Thanks!