Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Stock Stl to other file types

undertakerryu

When creating stock models for programs i was wondering if there was a way to convert them into other files directly to use for cmm purposes per op instead of working off the model in mastercam and comparing to the final part in the cmm program. (cmm program camio 8.5 files it accepts for the model are .sab .hsf .sat .igs and .stp) 

51 minutes ago, undertakerryu said:

When creating stock models for programs i was wondering if there was a way to convert them into other files directly to use for cmm purposes per op instead of working off the model in mastercam and comparing to the final part in the cmm program. (cmm program camio 8.5 files it accepts for the model are .sab .hsf .sat .igs and .stp) 

Its possible certainly but its not as easy as i wish it was to convert a STL to a Closed Solid Body. Its easy to save into the formats you mentioned once you get the Solid but the part that is challenging about this request is converting a stl (which is a triangular mesh, if you zoom in you might see all the little triangular faces even) into a Watertight closed solid body. If you don't need a water tight closed solid body there might be a way to accomplish this that i don't know about but for making a STL a watertight closed solid body the easiest way i have ever done it is through a software called spaceclaim and it was not very difficult (but also not as easy as you might imagine either and not as easy as clicking a button or anything). There might certainly be a way to do this in mastercam though so im not trying to steer you away but if someone was doing what you just asked on a regular basis or if someone has to take 3d scans and convert them to solid models often (reverse engineering a part) then i would recommend spaceclaim all day long.

Thats just my opinion, i hope it helps

• Like 1