Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Metric vs Inch Machine Definition

I searched on this forum for "Metric Machine Definition" but got a large number of hits that don't seem to apply to my question... I'm not a great search guru apparently...

My question is what makes the difference between a Metric and inch Machine definition. There appears to be only one Control Definition and one Post, that is to say, there isn't a Metric Control Definition and Metric Post for the Metric Machine Definition AND an Inch Control Definition and Inch Post for the Inch Machine Definition. So, the machine definition is the deciding factor, I just don't see how. I've made machine definitions from scratch for Inch version machines but never noticed or thought about what makes the difference.

tia,

Gary

So I think I have it sorted out... I can't test it until tomorrow morning but I believe the Configuration chooses between Inch and Metric when posting out, and the Machine Definition only needs to be adjusted for maximums such as travel limits, feedrates, etc. Anyway, that is what I came up with thinking about this during the afternoon yesterday. I've never tried switching to a metric config, it'll be interesting to see if the feedrates in my part file change. Seems like I'll need to scale my part up by 25.4 and probably feedrates too. Then check clearance planes, depths of cut, WCSs, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, in practice you do not actually need to worry about inch/metric machine definitions -- you can switch between inch/metric config files (and program either inch or metric parts) no matter which units the machine def was created in. The only reason we create  both versions for our standard posts is because if you are working off an inch config file with a metric machine def, every time you open the machine def in Machine Def Mgr, Mastercam prompts you if you want to switch your units, which is confusing to lots of people, because they think Mastercam is converting their part. So if you almost always work with one set of units, you may as well use that machine def.

No matter which config file you are using, when you post, Mastercam uses the machine def that is loaded in the active machine group. 

I just looked at this again, trying different machine definitions, configs, etc... but what I have discovered is scaling the part to inch puts out the G70 and vice versa. So, thanks for the input, I think I understand it now. I thought switching the configuration was the key, but I switched and told it NOT to scale the part and the G70/G71 stayed the same, then I manually scaled it without changing the configuration and the output DID change.

Gary

• 2 months later...