Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Arc Filter Advanced Multiaxis Toolpaths

Zoffen

Hello all you smart (and good lookin!) people here at emastercam!

I need to arc filter (if possible in all planes G17,G18,G19) an advanced multiaxis toolpath(Locked to 3 axis) that i am using to machine a surface as so:

image.thumb.png.8a773f3528d41f5128010c394db40e94.png

I get a great toolpath but because of machine limitiation (memory and ability to transfer large programs onto the machine - 2005 VF4SS) i need to be able to filter these toolpaths to get them to run smoothly through DNC and or just fit on the gosh darn control.

I tried the Arc3d Chook with the following settings

.0002 Filter Tolerance

.010 Min Arc

1000.00 max arc

Buuutttttt it just froze for a bit then came back and yells at me:

image.png.a87163c0d63558d923b2c51933db4c44.png

Does anyone here know a way to effectively arc filter these toolpaths?

Thanks in advance for the willingness to help a brother out!

Hi Zack,

All of the Multi-axis paths produce G11 motion. (Point-to-point Vector moves)

So inherently they only contain linear motion, but in Vector form.

Since you are locking to 3 Axis anyway, why not just create a 3X path, since those paths inherently have filtering capabilities?

There is just no good method for doing what you want, with a 5X path. Sure, there are some work-arounds. You could backplot the path motion, save as geometry, and then path it with a 3D Contour path. This would let you filter it, but the filter algorithm is not filtering the motion relative to a 3D surface(s), but rather it is now filtering a static path of point-to-point geometry. Plus, the path is no longer directly associated to the geometry anymore.

Have you tried the new 3D finishing path in 2019 yet? It is pretty sweet from what I've seen so far.

Hey Colin!

I gave the Contour 3D method a shot and that seems to be the best for what i'm trying to achieve here.

I do use the 3D finishing paths but it seems like more and more i go to the Advanced 5ax toolpaths as i am such a control freak! I can usually get what i'm looking for faster with those for simpler things than fitzing around with the HS and containment yada yada yada i just go to what i know works and bingo bango i move on with my life!

Thanks for the input and i hope you are enjoying the washington weather!

41 minutes ago, Sumac Andy said:

Not sure if this helps?
This is the setting I use to make the file size smaller.

HTH

Andy.

filter.JPG

Hi Andy,

Those Filter options only apply to the Toolpaths for 3 Axis machining. The path Zack is using (Advanced Multi-Axis), does not have the same Filter options as the page you are showing (From Surface Finish Flowline).

• Like 1
On 2/5/2019 at 11:28 PM, Zoffen said:

Hey Colin!

I gave the Contour 3D method a shot and that seems to be the best for what i'm trying to achieve here.

I do use the 3D finishing paths but it seems like more and more i go to the Advanced 5ax toolpaths as i am such a control freak! I can usually get what i'm looking for faster with those for simpler things than fitzing around with the HS and containment yada yada yada i just go to what i know works and bingo bango i move on with my life!

Thanks for the input and i hope you are enjoying the washington weather!

Lol. Enjoying the weather? You mean the record snowfall?

I think we brought the damn weather with us when we moved out here.

You still working in Oly? I'm about 20 minutes from there in Lakewood. We should do lunch if you are around. I'm starting a new gig soon and I'll be short on free time soon.

7 hours ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

Lol. Enjoying the weather? You mean the record snowfall?

I think we brought the damn weather with us when we moved out here.

You still working in Oly? I'm about 20 minutes from there in Lakewood. We should do lunch if you are around. I'm starting a new gig soon and I'll be short on free time soon.

Nope im up in bellingham. I might try to make it down to the lunch n learn at gosiger in kent tomorrow depending on the weather. I think i have your number still ill give you a text.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, motor-vater said:

Sorry to hijack. What toolpath are you speaking of??? Equal scalup or is there a 3d finishing path somewhere? Someday we will start using 2019

Man, you gotta get on the bandwagon.  Get up to speed and ready for 2020 which has some serious improvements.  Planes manager alone, tiddies.

We need system upgrades, 2019 Crashes like crazy for us, pretty sure we need better graphics cards. I use 2019 on occasion but our Engineering Manager wont sign of on it yet because of stability issues, lack of reverse integration. Remember the good old days when you could save backwards...  but I need a tool path to do almost the same thing the OP is after right now and if there is something new in there that can do it better I need to test it out.. They generally wait about a year before changing to a new version and truth be told I think 2018 is great, probably the best one at least to that point, but we have one dinosaur on staff that hates change, and we have to be able to open each others files to make adjustments so I'm between a rock and a pyramid.. lol

• 2 weeks later...