Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

How to know where Tool Inspection Stop is in an HST Operation?

crazy^millman

2019 here and need to stop tools at times so the inserts can be replaced. Problem is I really need to break up the operations at those points so I can then do some inspection of the tools. Short of posting the code and back plotting does anyone know if a good way to know where in the operation that is to not guess?

1 hour ago, jlw™ said:

Thanks for the tip Ron.  I usually program around cut times and force tool change with a comment to check the tool.

That becomes trail and error on certain parts. This way I knew the depth it needed to stop. Now I have broken up the OPTI-Rough into the operations needed using the Steep and Shallow and good to go.

Absolutely, using it on parts right now.

That is pretty much how I get my cut times too.  Depending on the shape of the part, I'll set gap and then program for one depth pass.  That gives a decent idea when multiplied by number of depth cuts.  If the part has a lot of tapers or steep walls it varies with depth but it's a starting point and I can usually have it in a matter of a minute or two.

5 hours ago, Neurosis said:

Would be nice if someone wrote a tutorial in the post section on how to implement the tool inspection in to the post  :whistle:   :D  

Quite a few of CNC's posts have the logic in them, download MPFAN from the tech exchange and have a look.

If that doesn't help, contact your Mastercam reseller, there's documentation available.

• 2 months later...
On 2/7/2019 at 8:28 PM, Neurosis said:

Would be nice if someone wrote a tutorial in the post section on how to implement the tool inspection in to the post  :whistle:   :D  

agreed

Production/automation focused question:

Curious what people think is a better tool life management method for roughing copious amounts of Ti with optipath :

1.  use depth control and successive operations with different tools.

2. use inspection interval TIME inside one operation that creates a pullout/M01

Cons:

1.  The probelms with depth control is you dont have much control on cutting time and depths get wonky where axial depth is not ideal

2.  probably have to manually edit NC file for subsequent tools

5 hours ago, mkd said:

agreed

Production/automation focused question:

Curious what people think is a better tool life management method for roughing copious amounts of Ti with optipath :

1.  use depth control and successive operations with different tools.

2. use inspection interval TIME inside one operation that creates a pullout/M01

Cons:

1.  The probelms with depth control is you dont have much control on cutting time and depths get wonky where axial depth is not ideal

2.  probably have to manually edit NC file for subsequent tools

I like time based intervals as i usually have a fair idea of how long a cutter or tip will last but not a lot of idea on the cut length it will obtain. 

On 2/8/2019 at 2:21 AM, jeff.D said:

Quite a few of CNC's posts have the logic in them, download MPFAN from the tech exchange and have a look.

If that doesn't help, contact your Mastercam reseller, there's documentation available.

If I'm not mistaken, the stock posts only output an M00 and a comment that says "TOOL INSPECTION POINT - POST CUSTOMIZATION REQUIRED" or something similar. 

• Like 1