Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Reduce cusping & faceting during mill contouring of a cylindrical surfaces

I work in a small Tool & Die shop equipped with a Hurco Ultimax 3 & a new Haas Super Mill 2.  We are still using MC X2.

The problem I had was on the last job on the Haas, milling a round part. First thought anyone has... cylindrical ---cut on lathe? Sadly, I  could not. It was a cylindrical groove ( 3.610" I.D./3.922" O.D. x .562" dp.) that made the seal edge of the final molded part. I used a Toolpath-Surface finish with a 3/32" ball end and took cuts with a.001" step over  and I used "total tolerance" of 0.00005". 

This resulted with around the bottom angled surface it was faceted like a diamond (at 90 degree points). The at 0 & 180 degree positions on the circle the cutter was making moves of .015/.022 in "x" & .0001/.0015 in "y".  At 90 & 270 degrees  .0001/.0015 in "x" & .015/.022 in "y".

This leaves large cusps & faceting at 4 positions at the bottom angled surface of the seal groove. I have changed all the settings to eliminate/reduce the faceting, but the only way to get the x,y moves smaller is to use a smaller diameter cutter. 

What Toolpath/ Settings should I use? Am I using the wrong Toolpath? 

Any advice about a possible work around (other than a MC upgrade) would would be grateful. 

cusp & facetting.jpg

I will have someone check for possible backlash.

We purchased the Haas new this last year. I have run numerous programs on this machine. This is the only program / Cad that this machine has this problem with.

It maybe from the hardness of the steel (46/50 R/C), cutter size, feed, & the depth of cut, causing the cutter(s) to flex when it does a .015"/.022" move. 

I have tried different settings to reduce the .015/.022 move,but I have been unsuccessful in reducing it.

3 minutes ago, GaryT said:

I will have someone check for possible backlash.

We purchased the Haas new this last year. I have run numerous programs on this machine. This is the only program / Cad that this machine has this problem with.

It maybe from the hardness of the steel (46/50 R/C), cutter size, feed, & the depth of cut, causing the cutter(s) to flex when it does a .015"/.022" move. 

I have tried different settings to reduce the .015/.022 move,but I have been unsuccessful in reducing it.

If at first you don't succeed.... so much for Skydiving!

I could not get a screenshot of the "Filter setting" (not present in MCX2). I have attached a zip file of the MCX  & posted NC files.

I am trying the Surface Finish-Scallop. I did not use it before before because it took a long time to do processing. If the settings are to tight , my computer will lock-up MC & crash .

So far it has been 45 minutes. Hopefully, it will not error.

Thanks,

CAVITY_BLOCK.zip

.00005 for a total tolerance?

That's waaay too tight. You should loosen it up and filter to try to create arcs especially for a machine such as haas. As little point to point moves as possible. Backplot will give you a great idea on the smoothness of the toolpath (turn "display endpoints" on)

• Thanks 1

I have success! It was a combination of errors on my behalf. I changed to a "Constant Scallop" and I reset the "total tolerance", set starting point to the center of the outside diameter of the groove , turned on the filter ratio, set it to 1:3, & used 1.8 min r. & 1.97 max r. 

It returned a radius cut instead of linear moves. Smoothing out my passes.

I would like to Thank everyone for your help.

• Like 2