Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Anybody using Wintool?

Mgrenier

Hello,

As the title says, does anybody use wintool to get the their tools from?  We are now in the process of looking for a tool managing software and would like to know if anybody out threre uses this software.  Is it good, what do you like/dislike about this software.
Any comment will be appreciated.
Regards,
10 minutes ago, Mgrenier said:

Hello,

As the title says, does anybody use wintool to get the their tools from?  We are now in the process of looking for a tool managing software and would like to know if anybody out threre uses this software.  Is it good, what do you like/dislike about this software.
Any comment will be appreciated.
Regards,

What do you want to do with it?

"Manage our tool database, duh" is usually the response I get.

Here is the thing about any Database: who is going to do the initial data entry, and who is going to be responsible for maintaining the database. In my experience, the implementation is where all software packages either work or fail. You have to create processes that everybody follows, and make sure they follow the process. This can be easier said than done, depending on the culture in your individual shop.

The only experience I have with WinTool is importting the data from WinTool into Vericut. The last shop I was at used Zoller TMS as well, but we had just started the implementation when I moved to WA, so I never got to see it in action.

Hello Collin,

Off course we want to manage our tooling and we already know that implementation is going to be a long process that needs to be done carefully by the right employees.  But in addition to tool management, we want the ability to have Wintool push the tools geometry to mastercam and Vericut.  Upper management does not like having one tool library for Mastercam , one for Vericut and one for our tooling department.  This is where the need came from.  We are now in a trial period with Wintool and it looks good but I was asked to see if I could gather some informations from users not only Wintool company.

Regards,

2 hours ago, Mgrenier said:

Hello Collin,

Off course we want to manage our tooling and we already know that implementation is going to be a long process that needs to be done carefully by the right employees.  But in addition to tool management, we want the ability to have Wintool push the tools geometry to mastercam and Vericut.  Upper management does not like having one tool library for Mastercam , one for Vericut and one for our tooling department.  This is where the need came from.  We are now in a trial period with Wintool and it looks good but I was asked to see if I could gather some informations from users not only Wintool company.

Regards,

Sounds good Martin. I can confirm that the data comes into Vericut nicely. I'm guessing it does in Mastercam as well, but haven't seen it in person. 

13 minutes ago, Metallic said:

just out of curiosity, can someone ballpark the price for a database management system like Wintool or Zoller? Curious if its something i can afford before i go into the process of quoting.

Thanks

I think the cheap ones start around $30K, and go up from there. But I also haven't priced one lately. 

Colin is right there with the $30K being a STARTING point. IMO it is the only way to go once an organization gets to be a certain size. And, the earlier the better because it becomes a monumental task once you have thousands of assemblies and components. BUt, once it is all in there and RIGHT, you will never want to go back.

Mike 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, GoetzInd said:

Colin is right there with the $30K being a STARTING point. IMO it is the only way to go once an organization gets to be a certain size. And, the earlier the better because it becomes a monumental task once you have thousands of assemblies and components. BUt, once it is all in there and RIGHT, you will never want to go back.

Mike 

Yeah currently dealing with 2 big Aerospace companies that have their own custom built stuff that was never made to support the CAM or CAV Systems that are using. Once has 20k tools and 5k of holders. The other has 30K of tools and 7.5k of holders. One does have about 4k of tools in holders all defined in Vericut, but that is it. There were never defined in the CAM. Coming in and trying to help them can be a challenge that is for sure. One of them just got the Zoller system. The estimate it will take 14 to 18 months to get everything converted into the system.

• Like 1