Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

mastercam 9.1 w/ GRBL

So I converted my bench top mill to cnc and I got everything working. Heres the issue, I have mastercam 9.1 but cant find the post to make it work with GRBL. I downloaded fusion 360 and that works but I know how to use mastercam 9.1 pretty damn well and not so much the fusion software. I also have many many MANY files already written in mastercam from years ago that I would rather not have to redo in fusion. Does anyone anywhere know where I can find the post to make this work? The re-seller has nothing for me, and master cam corporate couldn't help. Yes I know 9.1 is pretty old, however it still work pretty well for me. Thanks for any help any can offer.

The GitHub makes it seem like a Fanuc post with a few tweaks would do the trick, do you have a Fanuc post you could try?

List of Supported G-Codes in Grbl v0.9 Master:
  - Non-Modal Commands: G4, G10L2, G10L20, G28, G30, G28.1, G30.1, G53, G92, G92.1
  - Motion Modes: G0, G1, G2, G3, G38.2, G38.3, G38.4, G38.5, G80
  - Feed Rate Modes: G93, G94
  - Unit Modes: G20, G21
  - Distance Modes: G90, G91
  - Arc IJK Distance Modes: G91.1
  - Plane Select Modes: G17, G18, G19
  - Tool Length Offset Modes: G43.1, G49
  - Cutter Compensation Modes: G40
  - Coordinate System Modes: G54, G55, G56, G57, G58, G59
  - Control Modes: G61
  - Program Flow: M0, M1, M2, M30*
  - Coolant Control: M7*, M8, M9
  - Spindle Control: M3, M4, M5
  - Valid Non-Command Words: F, I, J, K, L, N, P, R, S, T, X, Y, Z
  • Thanks 1

What Post Processors do you already have for V9.1?

Look in your Post Folder:

Install\mill\posts

(Install should be something like "mcam9", or something like that.)

Jeff's comment about GitHub, refers to a website which hosts "online open-source software code". He looked on Github to see if there were resources available for your controller, and saw that the G-codes for the GRBL are very similar to the Fanuc control. 

So, the first step is to search through your Mastercam installation for a file called 'MPFan.pst'. This is the standard "mill Post for a Fanuc 3 or 4 Axis".

Once you locate MPFAN.PST, you should make two separate backups. Copy/Paste and rename, and also make a separate backup, with a different File Extension. (Make "mpfan_backup.pst" and "mpfan.bak)

This is for safety, so if you mess up the logic, you have a way to recover.

The "Post" is just a text file, with code written in the "MP Post Language", which is a scripting language. A bit like a cross between VBScript, a Batch File (.bat), and Standard C.

The Post contains instructions, which tell MP.DLL, how to process your NCI (Toolpath data), and turn it into NC Code.

Now, create a sample Toolpath in 9.1, and Post it with the Post. Once you have NC Output happening, figure out what needs to be changed for your machine, and we can help you do that. 

• Thanks 1
On 2/17/2019 at 12:17 PM, Colin Gilchrist said:

What Post Processors do you already have for V9.1?

Look in your Post Folder:

Install\mill\posts

(Install should be something like "mcam9", or something like that.)

Jeff's comment about GitHub, refers to a website which hosts "online open-source software code". He looked on Github to see if there were resources available for your controller, and saw that the G-codes for the GRBL are very similar to the Fanuc control. 

So, the first step is to search through your Mastercam installation for a file called 'MPFan.pst'. This is the standard "mill Post for a Fanuc 3 or 4 Axis".

Once you locate MPFAN.PST, you should make two separate backups. Copy/Paste and rename, and also make a separate backup, with a different File Extension. (Make "mpfan_backup.pst" and "mpfan.bak)

This is for safety, so if you mess up the logic, you have a way to recover.

The "Post" is just a text file, with code written in the "MP Post Language", which is a scripting language. A bit like a cross between VBScript, a Batch File (.bat), and Standard C.

The Post contains instructions, which tell MP.DLL, how to process your NCI (Toolpath data), and turn it into NC Code.

Now, create a sample Toolpath in 9.1, and Post it with the Post. Once you have NC Output happening, figure out what needs to be changed for your machine, and we can help you do that. 

M5
G91 G28 Z0.
G28 X0. Y0. A0.
M01
( UNDEFINED   TOOL - 1  DIA. OFF. - 1  LEN. - 1  DIA. - .25 )
T1 M6
G0 G90 G53 X-1. Y.5 A0. S5000 M3

G43 H1 Z.51
G1 Z.23 F50.
X1. F350.
Y-.5
X-1.
Y.5
Z.49 F300.
M5
G91 G0 G28 Z0.
G28 X0. Y0. A0.
M30
%

this is what i got back after using a different fanuc post I got from mastercam. However ugcs kicks back errors saying a few lines are unsupported. the high lighted stuff is what it didnt like

after seeing what you posted, and then messing with the post i have I think i finally have it all figured out except for one thing. everything works except for some reason after I set 0 on my machine and send the file, it retracts the tool like 2 1/2" and then starts initiating the file. I thought maybe it was in the way I set the toolpath up but I verified everything is correct to the way I used to set it all up. So I guess with a little more tweaking I will have this all set up correctly. you guys have any idea why its doing that? probably a stretch but I figured I would ask none the less

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I just got a new to me 2000 vf2 I'm using the generic mpfan post and it works I did have to edit to remove the A axis I figured that out

but it outputs a G92 code and I don't know how to edit that out as it shows in the questions that it is set to number 2

Can someone help me pls thanks so much . I have to manually edit at machine as of now to get rid of .

17 minutes ago, progaseng said:

I just got a new to me 2000 vf2 I'm using the generic mpfan post and it works I did have to edit to remove the A axis I figured that out

but it outputs a G92 code and I don't know how to edit that out as it shows in the questions that it is set to number 2

Can someone help me pls thanks so much . I have to manually edit at machine as of now to get rid of .

Check the misc integers.

You may need to set your control definition misc values as there is usually a switch on 1 or 2

301. Work Coordinates [0-1=G92, 2=G54's] (mi1)? 2
302. Absolute or Incremental [0=ABS, 1=INC] (mi2)? 0
303. Reference Return [0=G28, 1=G30] (mi3)? 0
304. Default miscellaneous integer variable 4 (mi4)? 0
305. Default miscellaneous integer variable 5 (mi5)? 0
306. Default miscellaneous integer variable 6 (mi6)? 0
307. Default miscellaneous integer variable 7 (mi7)? 0
308. Default miscellaneous integer variable 8 (mi8)? 0
309. Default miscellaneous integer variable 9 (mi9)? 0
310. Default miscellaneous integer variable 10 (mi10)? 0

It looks like it was set on number 2 I know the mills home position isn't in the center of table it's x and y in the furthest most end of travels in both in the Positive direction  so any advice on what I need to change to make the haas vf2 work again thx for the help . I want it to not use the g92 but it comes up in the program yet when looking here it should be turned off but I'm not the smartest when it comes to this stuff . I was able to turn the A axis off

• 3 months later...