Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

5-Axis Swarf Tool Path

ujmujm

I'm doing a Swarf tool path on a .073 diameter on 10 degrees using a .014 diameter end mill and I'm getting a really bad surface finish on the side wall flat spots and gouges, I have my wall following method set to .0001 for distance and cut tolerance and the filter set to .00005 not sure what else to do I've tried different feed rates and the faster I go the better it seems to look, does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 9:22 AM, ujmujm said:

I'm doing a Swarf tool path on a .073 diameter on 10 degrees using a .014 diameter end mill and I'm getting a really bad surface finish on the side wall flat spots and gouges, I have my wall following method set to .0001 for distance and cut tolerance and the filter set to .00005 not sure what else to do I've tried different feed rates and the faster I go the better it seems to look, does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

2 hours ago, ujmujm said:

I'm using Swarf Milling on the pattern tab.

Hmmm... yes... the SWARF milling under the pattern tab is the Module Works one... but by the terminology you are using... wall following, cut tolerance, and filter... you might have clicked on the SWARF under the Applications tab by mistake. The newer SWARF doesn't really use the wording you described in your first post.

The old SWARF toolpath still works... but I have had better luck with the default, or looser tolerances there.

The newer Module Works SWARF has solved my problem of faceting and poor finishes... it seems a bit more complex, but anything with more options is necessarily more complicated because you have to learn a greater number of concepts.

21 hours ago, ujmujm said:

I just double checked which Swarf I was using, it is the application not the pattern my mistake, which one is the better tool path for my application

They both work fine, but on occasion I have struggled with faceting on the old-school SWARF... so Pattern/SWARF Milling is the better one, IMO.