Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

MULTI-AXIS-UNDERCUT HELP

Spotterhphc

Hello,

I am looking for a way to rough out stock in an undercut situation using multi axis but also using stock recognition. Attached is the simplified MC file that I am working on. This is going to be run on an Integrex i300. When the file gets opened you can see the real part that I need to make on "level 1". "level 2" has the model I need (+.01" everywhere) prior to finish turning the inside. I've been messing around with this for some time now and I've gotten close as you can see in the toolpaths and stock "model 2" but i want to believe there is a much better way to do this. I am afraid of tool burial approaching the way i have it programmed now.  "Stock Model 1", on level 3, is roughly what the stock will look like before I start cutting the undercut. Straight walls all the way to the bottom on the part. I scaled down the part to do some test cuts on aluminum first so that's why levels 3998-4001 have smaller geometry. The real part is copper so that's why I am milling and not turning. 

Is there a way to use multi axis toolpaths while using stock recognition on a feature like this? I want it to start at the straight walls and work its way in to the angled walls while not colliding with things (obviously). 

The real part will be using Tool #3 (1"ball em). With only .800 of flute so I will need to take depth cuts down to the floor. Note that i dont have to use the ball too the entire length. I can use multiple tools including bull end mills( T#1) if it makes things easier in the top section of the ID of the part. 

Any and all help is appreciated.

Let me know if I left anything important out that you need to know.

MULTI-AXIS.pdf

MULTI-UNDERCUT.ZIP

Heyo Spotterhphc,

I took a quick look at this because it seemed like it would be more fun than doing real work :) 

I modified op #7, your Parallel toolpath. 

Stock - Use Stock Model #1  (Op #3)

Cut Pattern - I hooked it up to the level 4000 geometry and set it to be Parallel to Angle so I got a constant step down.

Tool Axis Control - Fixed Angle To Axis, "X."  This will make it a "3 axis" toolpath, i.e., it will make the tool axis control independent from the geometry.

Collision Control - CC#1 - Tilt Tool Automatically against the drive surface and the check surface (the flat bottom floor).  This will cause the tool to tilt if you're going to hit the drive surfaces, modifying what we set in Tool Axis Control.

Roughing - Multipasses turned on.  I did 6 passes @ .1 depth, but of course you can use whatever you need here.  The idea is to make sure there's enough passes that the excess can be trimmed off by stock.  Multipasses will offset from the surface, Depth Cuts would have offset along the tool vector.

image.png.e0240f66cfd4b88b230673ea41d0809f.png

I didn't play with Linking, but I would probably put a lead in/out on so you don't just plunge directly into the material anywhere it's trimmed.

That gives me this as an output:

image.png.9191ae14d87a7ba861622251aaab355e.png

Hope this helps!

MULTI-UNDERCUT_-_ACE.mcam