Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Free Active Reports Setup Sheet

Bill Craven

• 4 months later...
On 2/23/2019 at 8:45 AM, Bill Craven said:

Greetings all,

I have developed a setup sheet that is really more of an Operation check list.

Developed for minimal paper waste.

It works with all three of the main program types without changing report templates:  Mill,  Lathe, and Mill/Turn.

The operations are color coded:  Blue is turning, Yellow is Milling, and red is Manual Entry.

If the tools are named in Mastercam the way that I recommend, all of the information will be there for the operator:  Insert codes, etc. 

Included in the zip file that is attached is a sample turning program with milling, the Active report templates, a Word doc with instructions on how to install and where to enter information.

For best results, pay  close attention to the Word doc on what and where I enter the names and comments of the tools and operations.

image.thumb.png.b8a7f93ffe9641622fca15a9197bcc83.png

Disclaimer:  Use at your own risk.  

Active_Reports_OP_Tool_List_short.zip

I needed some help with setup doc and I just saw your post this morning.  I downloaded it a half a minute ago and can't wait to check it out.  Thanks so much for putting this out here.  People here, People like you, I really appreciate.  Many times my inexperience would have spelled curtains for me if not for you and the like.

• Like 2

That is an awesome thing to share...very much appreciated. I can't seem to figure out the "install" process though. If someone could chime in on how to make use of this gem, that would be fantastic. Thanks in advance!

***ok....didn't see the word doc thing...please disregard***

• 4 months later...
On 2/23/2019 at 6:45 AM, Bill Craven said:

Greetings all,

It works with all three of the main program types without changing report templates:  Mill,  Lathe, and Mill/Turn.

The operations are color coded:  Blue is turning, Yellow is Milling, and red is Manual Entry.

If the tools are named in Mastercam the way that I recommend, all of the information will be there for the operator:  Insert codes, etc. 

Included in the zip file that is attached is a sample turning program with milling, the Active report templates, a Word doc with instructions on how to install and where to enter information.

For best results, pay  close attention to the Word doc on what and where I enter the names and comments of the tools and operations.

Hi Bob,
   My bad, I was not paying much attention to read the entire comment.  It looks great, simple click and it does all the work Bob.

Image.thumb.png.6c819384653a5a517618afd93fb89c3c.png

• Huh? 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 2/23/2019 at 9:45 AM, Bill Craven said:

Greetings all,

I stumbled onto this after searching for a setup sheet. I downloaded your zip. I have no idea what to do with it after to use it lol. Also since this is an older post, have you updated this recently? 

1 hour ago, CNCZACK said:

I stumbled onto this after searching for a setup sheet. I downloaded your zip. I have no idea what to do with it after to use it lol. Also since this is an older post, have you updated this recently? 

Did you read the "Active Reports Operation and Tool List Report installation" document he included in the zip file?

This is for MC2019, so you will need to put it in the "C:\Users\Public\Documents\shared Mcam2019\common\reports\SST" folder, then you can use the migration wizard to update it to 2021.

• Thanks 2

Actually,  You can copy it directly to the  "C:\Users\Public\Documents\shared Mcam2021\common\reports\SST" directory and it should work.

I don't think that the migration wizard actually found anything to change.  I recently helped a friend install this into the 2021 directory and haven't heard of any issues yet. 

• Like 3
19 minutes ago, Bill Craven said:

Actually,  You can copy it directly to the  "C:\Users\Public\Documents\shared Mcam2021\common\reports\SST" directory and it should work.

I don't think that the migration wizard actually found anything to change.  I recently helped a friend install this into the 2021 directory and haven't heard of any issues yet. 

Got it working and "neurosis" thanks for the updated file.

one question, is there anyway to get the op# to match the N# the operator will see? 

1 hour ago, CNCZACK said:

one question, is there anyway to get the op# to match the N# the operator will see? 

It is possible, but you would have to modify your post to accomplish this.  

It would be confusing to the operator if you still had the sequence numbers turned on for the rest of the program.  

Another option might be to write the Op number to the posted output so that it shows up like this:  (  OP5  ) at the beginning of the operation

I believe that you can search a program for words that are in comments, but don't have any way of testing that right now.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Bill Craven said:

It is possible, but you would have to modify your post to accomplish this.  

It would be confusing to the operator if you still had the sequence numbers turned on for the rest of the program.  

Another option might be to write the Op number to the posted output so that it shows up like this:  (  OP5  ) at the beginning of the operation

I believe that you can search a program for words that are in comments, but don't have any way of testing that right now.

"It would e confusing to the operator if you still had the sequence numbers turned on for the rest of the program" - what do you mean by this? 

I put the Op number in the comments and it seems to work ok, I'm just trying to avoid any confusion to the operator. I noticed during drip feeding its a must have for the operator to have a simple straight forward setup sheet like this to avoid coming back to me and asking about every Op lol. They have plenty of comments but being cautious I understand you want some sort of "check sheet" 

24 minutes ago, CNCZACK said:

"It would e confusing to the operator if you still had the sequence numbers turned on for the rest of the program" - what do you mean by this? 

If you had a block number at the beginning of an operation (as an example N10  for operation 10) and the post was still outputting block numbers for the rest of the program on every line, it would be hard to search for the line with the Block/Op number.  If you turned off the sequence numbers through the Control definition, then you could force the post to output block/operation numbers only at the beginning of the Operation.  

I primarily deal with Aerospace HRSA materials and have my turning posts setup so that they ONLY output block/sequence numbers every time  the machine stops for a insert index or at the beginning of a new operation.

I also have all of the codes output to start the machine at that point even if the operator hits RESET.  The operators love this and it makes it very easy for the operators to hand off between shifts.  "I just finished N25, start at N26"

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Bill Craven said:

If you had a block number at the beginning of an operation (as an example N10  for operation 10) and the post was still outputting block numbers for the rest of the program on every line, it would be hard to search for the line with the Block/Op number.  If you turned off the sequence numbers through the Control definition, then you could force the post to output block/operation numbers only at the beginning of the Operation.  

I primarily deal with Aerospace HRSA materials and have my turning posts setup so that they ONLY output block/sequence numbers every time  the machine stops for a insert index or at the beginning of a new operation.

I also have all of the codes output to start the machine at that point even if the operator hits RESET.  The operators love this and it makes it very easy for the operators to hand off between shifts.  "I just finished N25, start at N26"

Ok that makes sense. I have my post set up that way as well "N1 rough- N2 finish" we do this to re run finish processes since we hold tight tolerances it can take several passes to hold those which I'm sure you know working in aerospace.  The only issues is some refer back to the N number and not the process so if there's an issue with "n5" it maybe be op 10 since I add in notes in-between or flip material that's not posted to them. 

I appreciate your responses and really dig the setup sheet so far! 

2 minutes ago, CNCZACK said:

I appreciate your responses and really dig the setup sheet so far!

Thanks,  I spent the time to figure out how to get Active Reports to output what I wanted.  ( I am still a "babe in the woods" with Active Reports )  I love being able to do a "one click" to get setup sheets.  In some cases it was taking as long to build setup sheets from scratch as it was to generate a program.  If you made a change to the program, then you had to go back and fix or re-do the setup sheets.

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, Bill Craven said:

Thanks,  I spent the time to figure out how to get Active Reports to output what I wanted.  ( I am still a "babe in the woods" with Active Reports )  I love being able to do a "one click" to get setup sheets.  In some cases it was taking as long to build setup sheets from scratch as it was to generate a program.  If you made a change to the program, then you had to go back and fix or re-do the setup sheets.

Exactly, I didnt like handing over a 30 pages set up sheet and then making a change and printing out another 30 😂

• 4 months later...

Question, I took a original report file and all the subfolders associated with the main file and made copy of all so I can create my own custom post. when I got done I went back and updated the sub reports to "report name" reflect the new named sub-file's but they are not updating when I run report on Mastercam? when I review each file independent if shows my edit but when I run report thru Mastercam it defaults back to original report. 

Am I missing something here??????????????????? :help::unworthy:

thanks in advance