Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Free Active Reports Setup Sheet

Bill Craven

1 hour ago, jean said:

Question, I took a original report file and all the subfolders associated with the main file and made copy of all so I can create my own custom post. when I got done I went back and updated the sub reports to "report name" reflect the new named sub-file's but they are not updating when I run report on Mastercam? when I review each file independent if shows my edit but when I run report thru Mastercam it defaults back to original report. 

Am I missing something here??????????????????? :help::unworthy:

thanks in advance

Are you using F2 to select the report you want, from the dialog that opens when you click setup sheet?

Just now, So not a Guru said:

Are you using F2 to select the report you want, from the dialog that opens when you click setup sheet?

Yes sir, I've copied the master file and the sub files then proceeded to rename the and update the names to it references the new files so if something went wrong I still had originals..

original= Setup Sheet (MT).rpx

new= Setup Sheet (MT)_FARRAR.rpx then this didn't work so I tried Setup Sheet (MT_FARRAR).rpx

I don't know if their is something else that links it also?

:question:

1 hour ago, jean said:

Yes sir, I've copied the master file and the sub files then proceeded to rename the and update the names to it references the new files so if something went wrong I still had originals..

original= Setup Sheet (MT).rpx

new= Setup Sheet (MT)_FARRAR.rpx then this didn't work so I tried Setup Sheet (MT_FARRAR).rpx

I don't know if their is something else that links it also?

:question:

I don't have my seat active on this laptop, but I'm pretty sure the way the files must be saved is this.

The main file is :

Setup Sheet (main_name).rpx

The slaved files are each preceded by a dash, like this:

-Setup Sheet (main_name-file).rpx

-Setup Sheet (main_name-operation)rpx

-Setup Sheet (main_name-tool).rpx

-Setup Sheet (main_name-tools).rpx

Of course there are many other slave files that you can create, depending upon your own needs. I don't know if it's required, but I keep all of the rpx files in the "Shared Mastercam XXXX/common/reports/SST" directory. That can probably be changed in the files section of the configuration utility.

Also, you must have each sheet pointed to the xml file that populates the fields.

27 minutes ago, So not a Guru said:

I don't have my seat active on this laptop, but I'm pretty sure the way the files must be saved is this.

The main file is :

Setup Sheet (main_name).rpx

The slaved files are each preceded by a dash, like this:

-Setup Sheet (main_name-file).rpx

-Setup Sheet (main_name-operation)rpx

-Setup Sheet (main_name-tool).rpx

-Setup Sheet (main_name-tools).rpx

Of course there are many other slave files that you can create, depending upon your own needs. I don't know if it's required, but I keep all of the rpx files in the "Shared Mastercam XXXX/common/reports/SST" directory. That can probably be changed in the files section of the configuration utility.

Also, you must have each sheet pointed to the xml file that populates the fields.

Ok, ill get a fresh start tomorrow and try to rename in this manner. Ill update the thread if I'm successful.

Thank you

• Like 1

You need to open the first RPX file (the one that you click on to run the report in Active Reports Designer) and then open the detail list on the right side and then look for any srpt_file  and then rename the report template so that it matches the report that you renamed. 

This is where the link is made.

There maybe multiple srpt_files in the detail section.  You will need to go into each one and update the name to whatever you named it.

Then you will need to open that sub report and do the same thing for any srpt_File that you find there.

image.png.0117f3f585b02dad8f2667126e64d9bf.png

• Like 1

Whenever I start working on an Active Report where I am going to be doing major work to it, I will map out the hierarchy by going into each rpx file and looking for the srpt_file and the links.  This makes it much easier for me to keep track of things if I want to rename everything for a new Active Report setup sheet.

The hierarchy is critical in how things are related and what order AR will gather the information for the final output.

11.     Setup sheet (MT)

a.     -Setup Sheet (SZ).rpx

i.      -setup sheet (SZ-M)

ii.      -setup sheet (SZ-L)

b.     -Setup Sheet (FILE).rpx

i.      -Setup Sheet (OPERATION).rpx

1.     -Setup Sheet (OPERATION-L).rpx

a.     -Setup Sheet (TOOL).rpx

2.     -Setup Sheet (OPERATION-M).rpx

3.     -Setup Sheet (OPERATION-T).rpx

a.     -Setup Sheet (MAN-ENT-INFO).rpx

i.      -Setup Sheet (MAN-ENT-DATA).rpx

ii.      -Setup Sheet (TOOLS).rpx

1.     -setup sheet (Tool)

a.     -Setup Sheet (TOOL-M).rpx

b.     -Setup Sheet (TOOL-L).rpx                                             

i.      -Setup Sheet (LATHE-TOOL-HOLDER).rpx

ii.      -Setup Sheet (LATHE-TOOL-CUSTOM).rpx

iii.      -Setup Sheet (LATHE-TOOL-INSERT).rpx

iv.      -Setup Sheet (LATHE-TOOL-DRILL).rpx

v.      -Setup Sheet (OP).rpx

c.      -Setup Sheet (TOOL-B).rpx

i.      -Setup Sheet (STATION).rpx

ii.      -Setup Sheet (OP).rpx

iii.      -Setup Sheet (OFFSETS).rpx

1.     -Setup Sheet (OFFSET).rpx

c.      -Setup Sheet (CAPTURES).rpx

i.      -Setup Sheet (CAPTURE).rpx

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Bill Craven said:

Whenever I start working on an Active Report where I am going to be doing major work to it, I will map out the hierarchy by going into each rpx file and looking for the srpt_file and the links.  This makes it much easier for me to keep track of things if I want to rename everything for a new Active Report setup sheet.

The hierarchy is critical in how things are related and what order AR will gather the information for the final output.

11.     Setup sheet (MT)

a.     -Setup Sheet (SZ).rpx

i.      -setup sheet (SZ-M)

ii.      -setup sheet (SZ-L)

b.     -Setup Sheet (FILE).rpx

i.      -Setup Sheet (OPERATION).rpx

1.     -Setup Sheet (OPERATION-L).rpx

2.     -Setup Sheet (OPERATION-M).rpx

3.     -Setup Sheet (OPERATION-T).rpx

a.     -Setup Sheet (MAN-ENT-INFO).rpx

i.      -Setup Sheet (MAN-ENT-DATA).rpx

ii.      -Setup Sheet (TOOLS).rpx

1.     -setup sheet (Tool)

a.     -Setup Sheet (TOOL-M).rpx

b.     -Setup Sheet (TOOL-L).rpx                                             

i.      -Setup Sheet (LATHE-TOOL-HOLDER).rpx

ii.      -Setup Sheet (LATHE-TOOL-CUSTOM).rpx

iii.      -Setup Sheet (LATHE-TOOL-INSERT).rpx

iv.      -Setup Sheet (LATHE-TOOL-DRILL).rpx

v.      -Setup Sheet (OP).rpx

c.      -Setup Sheet (TOOL-B).rpx

i.      -Setup Sheet (STATION).rpx

ii.      -Setup Sheet (OP).rpx

iii.      -Setup Sheet (OFFSETS).rpx

1.     -Setup Sheet (OFFSET).rpx

c.      -Setup Sheet (CAPTURES).rpx

i.      -Setup Sheet (CAPTURE).rpx

Yes sir, I did do that. I was getting lost for a second and decided to write down the hierarchy. 

looking for the srpt_file and the links

what links? i thought the srpt_file not the links?

thank you

19 hours ago, Bill Craven said:

You need to open the first RPX file (the one that you click on to run the report in Active Reports Designer) and then open the detail list on the right side and then look for any srpt_file  and then rename the report template so that it matches the report that you renamed. 

This is where the link is made.

There maybe multiple srpt_files in the detail section.  You will need to go into each one and update the name to whatever you named it.

Then you will need to open that sub report and do the same thing for any srpt_File that you find there.

image.png.0117f3f585b02dad8f2667126e64d9bf.png

I did this and went thru all the files and its still linking to the old after I've made edits to -Setup Sheets

4 minutes ago, Bill Craven said:

Yes sir you are correct.  Technically they aren't links, I just meant linking to the correct sub report.

Can you zip up your SST directory and send it to me.  I messaged my email address to you.

Ok, will do.

Okay Jean,

I looked at your file structure and names and think that I found the culprit.

The parenthesis are a little fussy and have to be named properly in order to get the correct output.

If the original name of a sub-report was: -Setup Sheet (FILE).rpx, you   have to keep the FILE in parenthesis.  You can't add other letters between the parenthesis.  You can add things after.  This is okay:  -Setup Sheet (FILE) Acme Coyote Catchers.rpx    This is not okay:  -Setup Sheet (FILE-MT-Acme Coyote Catchers).rpx

This is from the Active Reports Tips and Tricks document that you can download from Mastercam.com  knowledge base:

Using Product-Specific Data

When you need to display data from more than one product, use the product-specific files. There is also one for Manual Entry operations, highlighted below.

The Setup Sheet.rpx set of files uses product-specific subreports. For example:

Setup Sheet

-Setup Sheet (FILE)

-Setup Sheet (OPERATION)

-Setup Sheet (OPERATION-L)

-Setup Sheet (OPERATION-M)

-Setup Sheet (OPERATION-R)

-Setup Sheet (OPERATION-T)

-Setup Sheet (OPERATION-W)

Files must be named with “OPERATION-?”, where “?” is L, M, R, T, or W for Lathe, Mill, Router, Manual Entry, or Wire.

If product-specific data is used in one area, use it everywhere or other areas may get no data. For example, if “OPERATION-M” is used, use “TOOL-M”, “SZ-M”, etc.

In X8 and earlier, the parser looks only for the dash and the product letter (-L, -M, -R, -T, -W) in filenames. For example, TOOL-LIST.RPX will output only Lathe data.

Beginning with X9, the parser looks for the entire name. For example: “OPERATION-M”. The file name must have the product-specific name in one of the following formats:

"(OPERATION-M)" – () Parentheses

" OPERATION-M " – Spaces

"OPERATION-M" – End of filename

"[OPERATION-M]" – [] Brackets

Product-specific data cannot be grouped using the Group Header/Footer option. Only one operation, tool, stock, etc. is available to the subreport.

Product-specific subreports cannot access data higher in the data hierarchy. For example, you cannot access the NCIFILE-NAME from an OPERATION-M subreport by using //SETUPSHEET/NCFILE/NCIFILE-NAME. There is no direct access, evident when you see the hierarchy:

//SETUPSHEET

//NCFILE

//OPERATION

//OPERATION-M

So it looks like you need to go back and rename your templates with those restrictions and then go and update the srpt file links.

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, Bill Craven said:

Okay Jean,

I looked at your file structure and names and think that I found the culprit.

The parenthesis are a little fussy and have to be named properly in order to get the correct output.

If the original name of a sub-report was: -Setup Sheet (FILE).rpx, you   have to keep the FILE in parenthesis.  You can't add other letters between the parenthesis.  You can add things after.  This is okay:  -Setup Sheet (FILE) Acme Coyote Catchers.rpx    This is not okay:  -Setup Sheet (FILE-MT-Acme Coyote Catchers).rpx

This is from the Active Reports Tips and Tricks document that you can download from Mastercam.com  knowledge base:

Using Product-Specific Data

When you need to display data from more than one product, use the product-specific files. There is also one for Manual Entry operations, highlighted below.

The Setup Sheet.rpx set of files uses product-specific subreports. For example:

Setup Sheet

-Setup Sheet (FILE)

-Setup Sheet (OPERATION)

-Setup Sheet (OPERATION-L)

-Setup Sheet (OPERATION-M)

-Setup Sheet (OPERATION-R)

-Setup Sheet (OPERATION-T)

-Setup Sheet (OPERATION-W)

Files must be named with “OPERATION-?”, where “?” is L, M, R, T, or W for Lathe, Mill, Router, Manual Entry, or Wire.

If product-specific data is used in one area, use it everywhere or other areas may get no data. For example, if “OPERATION-M” is used, use “TOOL-M”, “SZ-M”, etc.

In X8 and earlier, the parser looks only for the dash and the product letter (-L, -M, -R, -T, -W) in filenames. For example, TOOL-LIST.RPX will output only Lathe data.

Beginning with X9, the parser looks for the entire name. For example: “OPERATION-M”. The file name must have the product-specific name in one of the following formats:

"(OPERATION-M)" – () Parentheses

" OPERATION-M " – Spaces

"OPERATION-M" – End of filename

"[OPERATION-M]" – [] Brackets

Product-specific data cannot be grouped using the Group Header/Footer option. Only one operation, tool, stock, etc. is available to the subreport.

Product-specific subreports cannot access data higher in the data hierarchy. For example, you cannot access the NCIFILE-NAME from an OPERATION-M subreport by using //SETUPSHEET/NCFILE/NCIFILE-NAME. There is no direct access, evident when you see the hierarchy:

//SETUPSHEET

//NCFILE

//OPERATION

//OPERATION-M

So it looks like you need to go back and rename your templates with those restrictions and then go and update the srpt file links.

Will do! thank you for your help and time.

• 1 month later...
On 2/23/2019 at 6:45 AM, Bill Craven said:

Greetings all,

I have developed a setup sheet that is really more of an Operation check list.

Developed for minimal paper waste.

It works with all three of the main program types without changing report templates:  Mill,  Lathe, and Mill/Turn.

The operations are color coded:  Blue is turning, Yellow is Milling, and red is Manual Entry.

If the tools are named in Mastercam the way that I recommend, all of the information will be there for the operator:  Insert codes, etc. 

Included in the zip file that is attached is a sample turning program with milling, the Active report templates, a Word doc with instructions on how to install and where to enter information.

For best results, pay  close attention to the Word doc on what and where I enter the names and comments of the tools and operations.

image.thumb.png.b8a7f93ffe9641622fca15a9197bcc83.png

Disclaimer:  Use at your own risk.  

Active_Reports_OP_Tool_List_short.zip

I have my own too.  I am trying to steel some of your ideas and putting on mine of which already existed.  Thanks for the share.

setup.thumb.PNG.e827d916cc2f95e6edd955bd5953b301.PNG

tools.thumb.PNG.8fd74d52f915f1bcabca7a1f3f4fa04a.PNG

• Like 2
  • 5 months later...
6 hours ago, ruhaki said:

do you know how to include sequence number into the report?

The " N " number..

N1, N2, N3

Thanks

I do not believe it is possible to output the sequence numbers to an Active Report.

The sequence numbers are controlled and generated by the Post Processor through a series of conditional statements after the Active Report has been generated.  Active Reports does not look at the Post Processor or the finish NC code and therefore would never know what and where the Sequence numbers appear.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Bill Craven said:

I do not believe it is possible to output the sequence numbers to an Active Report.

The sequence numbers are controlled and generated by the Post Processor through a series of conditional statements after the Active Report has been generated.  Active Reports does not look at the Post Processor or the finish NC code and therefore would never know what and where the Sequence numbers appear.

Bil I agree and the only way would be to put the number in the comment of the operation that matches what your have in your NC program. A little work upfront, but about the only way I can think of to do it.

We have our posts setup to output the MC operation number at every forced toolchange, and our Active reports setup sheets have the MC operation output in the 1st column. That, essentially, does what the OP wants. I imagine you could add the "N" somehow, but our operators are trained to know that the setup sheet operation equals the block number.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

THANKS FOR  THE SHARING ACTIVE REPORTS.I NEED SOME HELP REGARDING TO REPORTS.I CUSTOMIZE REPORTS FOR AS PER MY REQUIREMENTS.

I AM ATTACHING SAMPLE FILE WITH ACTIVE REPORTS SST.

PLEASE LOOK INTO IT .I HAVE THREE TOOL DEFINED IN TEST FILE(ONE 2D TOOL AND TWO  3D TOOL).I AM GETTING INSERT/HOLDER DETAIL FOR 2D TOOL BUT NOT FOR 3D TOOL IN REPORT.

MY QUESTION IS WHY I AM NOT GETTING HOLDER NAME DETAIL IN MY 3D TOOL  AND ALSO MY GROVING TOOL INSERT NAME  DETAIL IS WRONG POSTING ?SST.zipTEST.pdf

What version of Mastercam are you using?

If you are using 2022, There is a known bug when using 3d tools that blocks information from being gathered by Active reports.  The old 2d legacy tools work as expected.  3d tools don't share information.

Mastercam is aware of the bug.  

• Like 2
  • 3 months later...

Just downloaded Bill Craven's operation sheet. Very well done!!! Thanks.

I do have a question. Is there a simple way to add length and diameter offsets info along with the tool? I swap tools allot (20 stations but 75 tools). My offsets rarely match the tool#. I haven't seen offsets in any version from anyone.

Yes it could be done.  All of that information is available in the xml file that is extraced by Mastercam and used by the Active Reports templates.

Here is a sample from my full setup sheet       ( that I can't share yet )  

2022-06-08_10-54-04.png.5d8a119670ae96fd8d473fcbf0e53cb1.png

Here is an example of a tool setup sheet listing from Mastercam 2021.  Mastercam changed something in 2022 and the touch off picture from 3d lathe tools is no longer generated.  I haven't tried the latest 2023 release to see if it is fixed.

2022-06-08_10-46-08.png.2efca88d2c5ca6280d2b0fffaf802f1c.png

• Like 1
  • Huh? 1

This is perfect for me. From your 1st reply, you peaked my curiosity enough to actually open the active report designer and look at the structure. Before yesterday, I didn't know it existed.

I found the XML file (don't really know what it is but I see what it does), then added the offset after a couple tries. I have no Idea what I'm doing but it sure is fun.

I never even explored the available templates. I tried the default, it spit out too many pages so I moved on. A good lesson for an old fart like me - I better understand Don't throw out the baby with the bath water.  Thanks for all of this. Below is my attempt before I saw your latest reply.