Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Custom drill cycle

Roger

I need to drill some long holes (.256" diameter by 4.11" deep ), in aluminum, using a thru coolant 15 X solid carbide thru coolant drill.  The recommend feeds and speed are 300 SFM, .004 IPR.

Here is my problem... It's been recommended that I use a chip break cycle (G73), and that a do a pilot hole 1st.  How do I code this to feed down into the pilot hole at a slower RPM, ramp up the RPM's, etc...............

This is on a Haas mill.  I'm using the generic Haas post.  Is there a switch in the post to use custom drill cycles, and would I have to "make up a custom drill cycle"???

There are several ways to skin this cat.  You can use a 3d contour with the speeds/feeds to enter the hole, then without retract or "force tool change" go straight to the drill cycle.

You can use toolpath editor.  You may have to change it to long hand to get exactly what you want but you can get it without a custom cycle here.

However, a custom drill cycle really isn't that bad and would be nice to set up for future use.

The post that helped me the most was by John Paris and I can't find it at the moment.  Maybe some one can link it?

I want to thank everyone for their suggestions.  I ended up just typing it out longhand, copy, paste, (see attached NC code), because of time constraints. 

When things slow down here I've reached out to Colin Gilchrist to come to our shop and do some post mod's, set up probing in Mastercam, etc.  I hope he is still interested in doing this when that time comes.  🤔

I only have 15 of these parts to run, and everything looks good!

LONG HOLE DRILLING.NC

• Like 1