Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Suggestions on long tooling with undercuts

Programinator

I have to make an aluminum part that has a pretty deep cavity that has undercuts.  I have a 40 taper machine and the part is coming off the lathe so most of the inside is machined out already.  I have no experience with long tooling like this that is capable of doing the undercut.  Any suggestions would be nice.  Here is the file.

Thanks

EMASTERCAM.mcam

1 hour ago, Programinator said:

I have to make an aluminum part that has a pretty deep cavity that has undercuts.  I have a 40 taper machine and the part is coming off the lathe so most of the inside is machined out already.  I have no experience with long tooling like this that is capable of doing the undercut.  Any suggestions would be nice.  Here is the file.

Thanks

EMASTERCAM.mcam

I dont have any tooling suggestions on brands or anything but if it were me i would first try to find a tool for the Smallest and deepest (or most difficult area) first. After analizing your part, here is a tool / area that i think is the most challenging tooling wise.

1.png

That blue solid is a representation of the Largest T-slot cutter that i could get to fit, which is a 1" Dia with .625" shank, a whopping 12" long ;/ min. 

the other t slot cutters would be easier to find than a t-slot cuter for that area would be since the other radii and features have larger radii in the corners than this area does.

I hope this helps.

also that cut away right above where i was showing in that image also looks pretty deep, Could be pretty challenging, good luck on your tooling search, i am sure there are plenty of tooling reps that would be happy to help you find something so if you are unable to get an answer here i would contact your favorite tooling reps and they likely have some thoughts on tooling.

16 hours ago, Programinator said:

I will keep searching and maybe get a tool rep involved.

PH Horn is a good place to start. Lots of choice good quality.

Worked at a place where we did bottle bores 6 - 9 inches inside the part......in Superdduplex.

Took a while but we held pretty tight tolerances.

• Like 1
On 3/4/2019 at 12:24 PM, JoshC said:

I dont have any tooling suggestions on brands or anything but if it were me i would first try to find a tool for the Smallest and deepest (or most difficult area) first. After analizing your part, here is a tool / area that i think is the most challenging tooling wise.

1.png

That blue solid is a representation of the Largest T-slot cutter that i could get to fit, which is a 1" Dia with .625" shank, a whopping 12" long ;/ min. 

the other t slot cutters would be easier to find than a t-slot cuter for that area would be since the other radii and features have larger radii in the corners than this area does.

I hope this helps.

Not sure what you are seeing, but I am seeing a .625 minimum radial clearance. So you would need something like a 1/2" shank and a 1.75" diameter cutter.. LMAO

I have done some pretty crazy stuff but that simply wouldn't work. Unless they are paying a ridiculous amount of money for this part. I wouldn't even entertain it.. Unless they made that top lip a bolt on piece..... 

• Like 1