Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mastercam Lathe

Loïc19962

5 hours ago, Machineguy said:

You should have a taper adjustment in the tool menu.

yea if you have an option on your machine i would also do it at the controller, so that way you dont have to go back and forth between mastercam and the machine as tools wear, etc. 

some lathe machine controllers have taper control options built right in to handle taper on parts, consult your machine dealer or manual to see if your controller has this option and in my opinion that would be the best solution, but it can certainly also be done in mastercam i just think it would be easier on the operator at the machine control.

On a lathe i would just add a U command equal to the taper error. Run part with offset in X (so you don't scrap the first piece). Measure part for taper error. Look in code for the line with the G01 Z-where ever and put the U on that line.

Eg;

G01 Z-1.3125 U.002

The U will move the X axis incrementally that value over the length of the Z move. I would try to figure out where the problem is. Poor set up (to much stick out comes to mind), need center support, or previous crash causes taper at all times. IMHO best to fix the problem than to try and work around.

• Like 4
8 hours ago, Allan said:

On a lathe i would just add a U command equal to the taper error. Run part with offset in X (so you don't scrap the first piece). Measure part for taper error. Look in code for the line with the G01 Z-where ever and put the U on that line.

Eg;

G01 Z-1.3125 U.002

The U will move the X axis incrementally that value over the length of the Z move. I would try to figure out where the problem is. Poor set up (to much stick out comes to mind), need center support, or previous crash causes taper at all times. IMHO best to fix the problem than to try and work around.

Hey, that's a new one on me.  Never tried that.  What all controls have you done this on?

3 minutes ago, jlw™ said:

Hey, that's a new one on me.  Never tried that.  What all controls have you done this on?

Fanuc and HAAS controllers both have separate incremental letters assigned for each axis, X=U, Y=V, Z=W. so there is no need for G90/G91 as with a mill.

I cant speak for other controllers.

3 hours ago, AHarrison1 said:

Fanuc and HAAS controllers both have separate incremental letters assigned for each axis, X=U, Y=V, Z=W. so there is no need for G90/G91 as with a mill.

Okuma has it too, of course.

Mostly use it in threading canned cycles. cant remember if it's an I or a Q off the top of my head, but the sign designates direction. (ie smaller of bigger towards the chuck)

All of these ideas will work, I like the U value the best may I add that if you would put a variable in the U address you could make it adjustable and you could adjust the variable if any more adjustments were needed and not have to edit the program and allow  the operator to make his own adjustments. example U#510 then just put the adjustment amount in register 510. 

7 hours ago, AHarrison1 said:

Learn something new everyday!  Ive run Haas lathes for 13 years and never knew!  Thanks!