Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Cutting Internal Jarno Tapers

Good Afternoon Everyone! Does anyone have experience in producing an Internal Jarno Taper? I received a drawing which is calling out this taper on a hole. I have attached a piece of the drawing so everyone can see. I can't attach the whole drawing  but the part itself is a fork like bracket and one of the cross holes has this taper. My question is how do I go about machining this taper? Is there a special tool? Does it have to be ground? Can it be turned? and finally how to check the taper? Do I have to buy a Gauges? I have a CMM but mabey I need a Go/No-Go Plug gauge?

Not sure how to approach this. I appreciate everyone's time and efforts. The Material is Titanium

IMG_0417.jpeg

Alright gentlemen, So I figured this out.... I think. If you want to use a reamer you need to purchase a custom reamer for this job. According to my quote this will run you about $625US to about $825US each reamer. I have about 30 pieces to cut from titanium.  Due to the size of the bore diameter you cant get the reamer in carbide at an efficient price. Which means how many titanium pieces can 1 reamer cut?? Because of this uncertainty and because of the risk associated with scrapping a block of titanium thats about 12" long 7.00" wide and 6.0" thick using a reamer, you need to grind this taper. The risk is lower and the price is about $350Canadian each piece with a non recurring charge for the fixture as well as the gauge used to check the part. A ball drop may work but your better off with a gauge that will sit flush to the end face when placed in the bore. If the taper is wrong the gauge will either sit too high or sink to deep.

So the next time you have a fair size taper to cut in an expensive piece of material you may want to consider grinding it. Reaming titanium with this size and this type of taper is whey too risky. Before you master the reaming process you may scrap 1 or two pieces, and what if one of the flutes of the reamer you use chips off during reaming. 

Better to grind. In the long run it's cheaper and alot safer (providing the grinder knows what he is doing). This I Guarantee.