Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Cutter comp issue

The Chipmaker

Hi,

I always use control for my cc. to avoid any questions by my operators.  99.9% of our geometry is closed this one happens to be open. The cutter starts its approach as if cc is off and angles to the correct position, but chops off a corner. Is there a setting that I am missing for an open contour? I found a work around and used perp instead of tangent, but I don't like it feeding inside a slot. Thanks!

52.25_LEAD_IN_QUESTION.mcam

without looking at you file, it sounds like you found a good reason to switch to wear comp. I haven't looked back since making the switch.

Recently found a Heidenhain control can hold a comp value in memory pulled out of the program for a specific toolpath.

TOOL CALL 10 Z S5555 DR-.25

with .2495 in tool register, this will give you -.0005 wear comp

trying to get a post writer to wrap their head around it...well that;s different altogether. lol

• Like 1

Using tangent as a lead in to turning comp on is a poor choice. I know, it's available and you've probably used it for years without issue...but sooner or later it will bite you. And it just did. At some point, I've had troubles (like this) with control comp but I have NEVER had a problem with wear comp.

You don't like feeding inside of a slot? All I can tell you on that is toughen up, people do it every day without issue. When using wear comp with a perp move, or a perp move and arc, the machine movements are 100% predictable. EVERY TIME. I'm sure there are some outlier cases with some off brand machine using an off brand control that will only accept a tangent move to turn comp on, but by and large, you can't go wrong with wear comp.

All that said, the setting that you're missing? Use wear comp. That's the setting you need to use.

• Like 1