Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Active Reports tool projection

sgargaly

Hello,

I am attempting to output the tool projection length from the tool holder face using "[spAssembly]" and

"ToolProjection" tags that are listed in the "Setup Sheet XML Outline and Tag Glossary". So far, I have had no success.

The only way I can show the length is to output a graphic view of the tool assembly which dimensions the tool projection with the

total holder length. This uses a lot of paper since I am using many different tools. Can you show the method of adding this and other functions

to my Active Report?1356009360_Activereports2.PNG.9ca89273f8a36403bdc735a12b1fbf60.PNG1599751742_Activereports1.PNG.bf7180616bdfb037131cfc0f370e7d36.PNG

The upper graphic is the holder assy. output and the lower graphic is where I would like to display the tool length. 

Currently, I have to set the "Tool Shoulder" length to the tool stick-out length in the Mastercam tool manager, then output the tool shoulder

as the tool projection output value. The tool shoulder output value is easy to get but the tool projection is not.

Thank you.

2 hours ago, 5th Axis CGI said:

Bill Craven would be someone to reach out to.

Laying on my back, looking at the underbelly of the bus and wondering who threw me here...   Thanks Ron.   lol

Actually, I am glad to help.

Short answer:

Try using OVERALL-LENGTH  for the XML tag.  This is where some of the confusion starts to happen.  In the XML file, Physical Length is the overall length.  The overall length is the stickout or projection length.  The    "Setup Sheet XML Outline and Tag Glossary"     doesn't have accurate definitions for the tags.  The XML tag "Physical Length" is the number that you entered for the "Overall Length" when you were defining the tool.  Overall-length is the stickout or projection length.

The spAssembly/ToolProjection tag should work, (the same stickout number is in that field) but unless you have drilled down to that level of the XML file in your report, Active Reports won't output anything.

Longer answer:

Get a XML file viewer.  I like XML Notepad from Microsoft.  It is free and you can easily see the outline format of the XML file.

If you don't want to install another piece of software, just drag and drop the XML file into Chrome.  It will display all of the tags and the data stored in them.  

From either of these programs you can search for the "Tool Projection" number that you entered when you were setting up the tool on the holder page of the operation.

image.thumb.png.517385806fbaf14aa48e91b4220d4ae6.png

Another way of thinking about the "hierarchy" of the xml file is to think of each branch of the outline as a floor in a building.  Unless you are on that floor, or have created a path statement to that floor, you can't output that data to your report.

Form the screen grab above, you can see that OVERALL-LENGTH is on the floor above spAssembly.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 2

Thanks!

The "OVERALL-LENGTH" tag works perfectly. I changed the tool shoulder length to .45" with a tool stick-out of .55". 

The output now shows the corrected values:

1683282064_Activereports3.PNG.b65ac82193f1b6f0bcbd4b34f86c60d9.PNG

I will also get an XML file viewer to better understand the relationships.

Is there a manual or other source I can reference in the future that has more accurate information than the "Setup Sheet XML Outline and Tag Glossary"?

5 hours ago, sgargaly said:

Thanks!

The "OVERALL-LENGTH" tag works perfectly. I changed the tool shoulder length to .45" with a tool stick-out of .55". 

The output now shows the corrected values:

1683282064_Activereports3.PNG.b65ac82193f1b6f0bcbd4b34f86c60d9.PNG

I will also get an XML file viewer to better understand the relationships.

Is there a manual or other source I can reference in the future that has more accurate information than the "Setup Sheet XML Outline and Tag Glossary"?

there are tutorials that can be downloaded here on setup sheets https://www.mastercam.com/en-us/Support/Tutorials/Mastercam

3.jpg

• Like 1