Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

modify tapping out put for Haas

I modified my tapping cycle last year and I made the huge mistake of not taking notes of what I changed, yes, I know, bad operating procedure. My post is now generating a feed rate like this, G98 G84 Z-.4 R.2 F15.625 and my desired output would be for only 2 numbers past the decimal point. I can't seem to find the trigger for controlling that output. Can someone point me in the right direction? I have included my post and control definition.

Thanks, LeoC

Generic Haas 3X Mill 17.pst

GENERIC HAAS 3X MILL 17.mcam-mmd

tap test.NC

Look at the format statement for tap feed rate output and change it to a format with only 2 decimal places.

A quick look and there are 2 formatted F addresses for federate. One for Feed rate and one for Tap pitch if you are set up that way (look around Line#728 for these).

Looks like you want this format statement:

fs2 15  0.2 0.1      #Decimal, absolute, 2/1 place (feedrate)

but have a look at the others around Line#685

• Like 1

Thanks for the pointers. I first tried your suggestions but it didn't seem to be effecting anything so I figured there must have been some other control for tapping. I ended up changing this,

pmisc2$          #Canned Rigid Tapping Cycle
      pdrlcommonb
      #RH/LH based on spindle direction
      result = newfs(17, feed)  **** changed original newsf(12,feed) to 17 and then I got my desired output****
      pcan1, pbld, n$, *sgdrlref, *sgdrill, pxout, pyout, pfzout, pcout,
        prdrlout, *feed, strcantext, e$
      pcom_movea

This is what I had for fs2 17:

fs2 17  0.2 0.3      #Decimal, absolute, 2/3 place (tapping feedrate)

Hopefully I didn't screw something else up 😁

LeoC

• Like 1
13 hours ago, LeoC said:

Hopefully I didn't screw something else up

I am assuming you added the asterisks before posting to the site. Put a # after a couple of  spaces and then make a note about what you changed. Usually I will make a copy of the original line comment one out and add an end comment "original". The I will edit the other copy and add an end comment of why I made the change and a date.

That way if there is a problem in the future you can go back and see what you did and if that is actually the problem and if so fix it.

I think in this case you should be alright based on the fact that you are updating the feed rate format in the Tap Cycle (which was overriding the original format).

Perhaps Colin could comment on the nuances of the various ways Feed rates are updated and controlled.....

I'll try and write up some information regarding how Feeds are calculated, and outline some best practices when it comes to:

• Using and manipulating Format Statements
  • Setting initial "Format Assignments" to Variables
  • Using the "newfs" Function to assign a new Format to a Variable; "on-the-fly"
  • Restoring the "default" Format, and why that is important
  • "Where" Feed values are calculated in the Post
  • "How" to override when necessary

That will have to wait until I'm not on the clock though...

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

The asterisks were added just here, not on my post. Just wanted to highlight in some way what I had changed. I used to use Surfcam and I had no problems changing the post in that program but Mastercam is a bit more advanced. Thanks again for your help.

LeoC

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, LeoC said:

Just wanted to highlight in some way what I had changed

Totally got it. I usually leave my comments in the post until I am confident there isn't a mistake or "trap".

watch out for Colin's thread on this, it will undoubtedly be illuminating...

• Like 1