Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Allied machine threadmills

How are the D2D ratios? One of the things that bugs me most about SCT Threadmills is the short flute length. I end up having to get the shanks relieved for cutting deep threads, and having to make multiple depth cuts to get the full thread depth required. Example: .280 diameter with .813 flute length, and I have a thread callout 1.25 deep, minimum. 

I would love to find a source that stocked UN thread pitches in 6:1, depth-to-diameter ratios...

• Like 1

we use Emuge single tooth and full profile cutters, very pleased with them, they will even give you programs with speeds and feeds for any material.

was milling 6-32 in inconel and it was programmed with control comp and the op forgot cc ended up cutting a 1/4-32 in one shot from a .113 drilled hole and didn't even break

8 hours ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

How are the D2D ratios? One of the things that bugs me most about SCT Threadmills is the short flute length. I end up having to get the shanks relieved for cutting deep threads, and having to make multiple depth cuts to get the full thread depth required. Example: .280 diameter with .813 flute length, and I have a thread callout 1.25 deep, minimum. 

I would love to find a source that stocked UN thread pitches in 6:1, depth-to-diameter ratios...

2-56 are only 2x and the larger are 2 or 3 x.

We have had to spin them back also

I use the Carmex Thread MIll wizard

This thread mill wizard rocks!!!!

They call their line of Left hand thread mill cutters Hard Cut and they work very well

I just finished 2 big titanium rings that are the interface between a satellite and the rocket putting it into orbit

These parts had about 200 hours each in VTL time when I got them and a team on standby waiting to mount the satellite

to the rocket for a launch this summer. I did NOT want to screw these parts up.

They each had about 60 M4 x 7 blind holes in them. I used Carmex Hard Cuts  and got them all done with no issues.

That was stressful work.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 4
  • Huh? 1
On 4/5/2019 at 6:45 AM, gcode said:

They each had about 60 M4 x 7 blind holes in them. I used Carmex Hard Cuts  and got them all done with no issues.

thread milling 4mm on a machine you could park a truck on; that'd be kinda funny to see.

1 minute ago, mkd said:

thread milling 4mm on a machine you could park a truck on; that'd be kinda funny to see.

kind of slow going 

the thread mill wizard wanted about 3100 rpm

this spindles on these big HBM's can't do that.. It's 1800 rpm max.

even at that, we burned up a spindle chiller half way through the job 

7 minutes ago, mkd said:

Roll tap FTW!

er, except when they break. Burning a roll tap still leaves the threads of the tap. Get your dental picks out

this is a space flight critical piece of TI.. go near it with an EDM machine and it's going in the dumpster 

besides... gcode's got no balls to roll tap a 4mm thread in a TI part with 200 hours of VTL time in it :rolleyes:

10 minutes ago, gcode said:

this is a space flight critical piece of TI.. go near it with an EDM machine and it's going in the dumpster 

besides... gcode's got no balls to roll tap a 4mm thread in a TI part with 200 hours of VTL time in it :rolleyes:

I kinda had to roll tap some Ti housings for some deep bolt patterns down inside a bore with limited wall clearance. Worked like a charm. Far more confident than a 2mm cut tap. Manual tapping with moly-dee.

Manually chasing a burned out regular tapped hole with a roll tap???... note to self: don't be an idiot.

snap😓

2 minutes ago, mkd said:

I kinda had to roll tap some Ti housings for some deep bolt patterns down inside a bore with limited wall clearance. Worked like a charm. Far more confident than a 2mm cut tap.

Manually chasing a burned out regular tapped hole with a roll tap???... note to self: don't be an idiot.

snap😓

Actually, roll tapping never even occurred to me.

I'm not sure the customer would have allowed it

4 minutes ago, gcode said:

Actually, roll tapping never even occurred to me.

I'm not sure the customer would have allowed it

holes this small how they ever going to know if it meets gage specs? They gonna go and put a microscope on the part that can barely be reached with a tap extension.. then complain about 'odd surface finish'?

It's a common attitude toward roll tapping that i don't fully understand. I'm open to opinions

We built a bunch of big vacuum chambers several years back.

They were made of welded 304 SS plate.

We were allowed to roll thread anywhere on the part that was not exposed to vacuum.

Roll tapping was not allowed inside the chamber.

If you look at a rolled thread carefully you'll see that the minor diameter actually has a small groove in it

where the two 30° walls are swaged up to form the thread.

The customer was concerned that it would be impossible to clean all containments out of this tiny groove

and they would leach out and contaminate the vacuum.

With aerospace it's sometimes allowed and sometimes not.

I don't know why. It's my understanding that rolled thread are stronger than cut threads.

A big reason is probably bureaucratic inertia, but an aversion to contaminates may be a factor in aerospace as well. 

• Like 1