Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Hiding Stock Model

JB7280

I am programming a part with multiple parts in one operation.  I made a stock model operation to define my stock, for simulation.  When I made the stock model, it created what looks like STL models of my stock, and I can't hide it.  Tried turning the level off, tried ghosting the operation, and none of it works.

11 minutes ago, JB7280 said:

Got it, thank you!  Is there a better way to use multiple solids for verification?  Making a "toolpath operation" feels kind of.....backwards.  

I believe stock models are the only way to simulate multiple stock's in one machine group so i think that is the best way at this time.

• Like 1

Josh is correct on the best way to get many solids used at this time. it is fast and easy that's a good thing.

Another little tip on turning of the stock model or in some case many stock models and paths. select the toolpath group then select Toggle Display on select operations. this will turn them all off and also all the paths to make clean.

before i learned about the way to do this through stock models i always would make my stocks as solids and connect them with a really thin solid, like what i show in the old file i had done below. that connection piece would always be in the table or vice  in simulation so it never hurt anything and because it was technically just one solid it could be used in the regular stock setup. certainly easier with the stock model but i thought this old method that i used to use was interesting. Not saying this is a good method, but it actually worked pretty well despite being out of the box thinking and more difficult than other methods.

1.jpg

13 hours ago, JoshC said:

before i learned about the way to do this through stock models i always would make my stocks as solids and connect them with a really thin solid, like what i show in the old file i had done below. that connection piece would always be in the table or vice  in simulation so it never hurt anything and because it was technically just one solid it could be used in the regular stock setup. certainly easier with the stock model but i thought this old method that i used to use was interesting. Not saying this is a good method, but it actually worked pretty well despite being out of the box thinking and more difficult than other methods.

1.jpg

Haha, that's genius, and hilarious at the same time.  It just felt strange, and a bit cluttered to me having it in the operations list as a toolpath.  In Esprit you can simply select multiple models as stock, like where you would on the stock page under machine group.  This way just seems a bit more cluttered than it needs to be.  Perhaps it's just because it's not what I'm used to though.

You say "multiple" stock bodies....IMO, there is a place where stock model just breaks down because it just causes too much file bloat...

Many of the files I create are hundreds of megs in size...adding more size to use stock models is a non-starter....large file performance(+250megs) can be tough..

For me, it's still stl's simply because I can create them and keep them outside of Mcam, only using for verification and simulation...

If you're doing a part or 2 on a tombstone, stock models can be ok...trying to manage a hundred parts on a tombstone, stock model is a problem

JM2C YMMV

• Like 1

and with small tools you get a useless item...

already not great and I have tried running them down at .0005

Don't get me wrong, there are uses for stock model and I do use them but certain things do conspire against it for other purposes