Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Accessing Unused Plane Coordinates

Hi everyone. I'm wondering if there's a way to access the coordinates of a plane that is not used in any operations. My end goal is to have our programmers to define a plane at a reference point on a fixture, and then pull the coordinates from that plane into the post so I can do some conditional logic. Is there anyone who can get me pointed in the right direction? I've searched through the MP documentation but nothing has jumped out at me. 

Thanks!

25 minutes ago, ad1187 said:

My end goal is to have our programmers to define a plane at a reference point on a fixture,

So you want to identify the coordinates of a plane that does not exist yet? Is this in Mastercam Space or in the Machine Space?

In order to get the Coordinates into the NCI File > You must create a Toolpath Operation of some type.

However, just because the Operation Data is present in the NCI File, does not mean you need to create output. (You can write logic to suppress the output).

Your best ally in this case is the Point Toolpath. Just have each Programmer create a Point Operation, and drive the Tool being used to "a safe position above the tooling ball". Maybe 0,0,3.

Then configure a Misc Integer to "suppress" the output when it is active. (or, write logic to detect the 'operation type', and suppress all Point Ops, if your Programmers don't use these Ops as a habit...)

• Thanks 1

You can call a NET-Hook from the post and use the NET-Hook to interrogate the Mastercam file.

If you wanted to use a system plane for this I think you could do it in the post without creating a extra toolpath, provided you are in 2017 or later (I realize that a system plane is limiting) .

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, nickbe10 said:

So you want to identify the coordinates of a plane that does not exist yet? Is this in Mastercam Space or in the Machine Space?

Not quite. The plane would exist in Mastercam, it just wouldn't be used in any operations. It's sole purpose would be to allow me to reference a point on a fixture within the post, and provide a visually friendly way for our programmers to define said point. 

2 hours ago, jeff.D said:

You can call a NET-Hook from the post and use the NET-Hook to interrogate the Mastercam file.

If you wanted to use a system plane for this I think you could do it in the post without creating a extra toolpath, provided you are in 2017 or later (I realize that a system plane is limiting) .

Looks like this is where I'll probably have to go. I'll search around on the forums, but does anyone have any Mastercam 3rd party development documentation they'd be willing to share? I have an email in to my reseller as well. 

Never mind. Was able to access the documentation on Mastercam's website. 

Thanks for all the fast responses!

Edited by ad1187
Found information else where