Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Helical entry.

BBprecise

This has to be possible but I just can't figure it out. I have a boss on the OD of a ring that I need to mill. The gray area is still a solid band that I need to remove to leave the boss. There isn't enough clearance between the OD of the boss and the side of the next ring for the roughing tool and be able to climb mill the OD. I'd like to helix in to the material a little then make a pass around the boss. Customer is supplying the tooling so I cannot use a smaller endmill. The 2nd pic is roughly what I'm trying to accomplish, I know it shows conventional milling, but I wrote the code manually and brain farted on the G2/G3.

Any ideas?

Capture.PNG

Capture1.PNG

On 4/6/2019 at 12:42 PM, AMCNitro said:

If I understand it correctly, you should be able to use a ramp contour.

Ramp Contour ramps the actual toolpath which I don't want. I want to helix in to my contour depth then cut the part.

Thanks though.

On 4/6/2019 at 5:21 AM, BBprecise said:

This has to be possible but I just can't figure it out.

Couple of things I would try:

2D High Speed Contour I think has a helical entry option

Ordinary contour gives you a a ramp option and you are not limited to 90 degree sweep. I've never used a sweep of more than 180 but its worth a try. And maybe using as much ramp as you can squeeze out of the radius and get some more ramp by playing with the linear component of the entry

12 minutes ago, nickbe10 said:

Ordinary contour gives you a a ramp option and you are not limited to 90 degree sweep. I've never used a sweep of more than 180 but its worth a try. And maybe using as much ramp as you can squeeze out of the radius and get some more ramp by playing with the linear component of the entry

I've never tried more then 180º myself. Assumed it wouldn't allow more then 360º so never tried. I will give that a shot.

I think I tried High Speed Contour, but I'll have to go back and look. Pulled me off this hot job for another hotter job. 🤬

Just now, BBprecise said:

I think I tried High Speed Contour,

1) Try playing with the stock amount. I find this has an effect on the helix on closed contour working the inside, so might be worth a try here.

2) Even if you can't make more than 1 full helix with contour entry helix you should be able to control the position of the linear component enough to get some more ramp form this. It might not look pretty like the book does but should be effective.

Been thinking about this some more and I could try creating a helix and end it right where my main geometry starts and try that as a 3D contour. I'd have to make several helix's for the different DOC's I need but that may work. If not may try your suggestion DUM1.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/8/2019 at 9:49 AM, nickbe10 said:

Well tried using the sweep and it doesn't allow more then 180º .