Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

2019 Finish Pencil Toolpath

Slepydremr

I've seen that error when my parameters don't give anything for MC to machine. For example, Z depths are wrong, I've given it the wrong roughing tool size, etc. For me, it has always been operator error. Check your machining parameters again.

I thought it may be user error, it has often been in the past, but this time I double checked and made sure there aren't any odd parameters, unless there's one I'm unaware of.

That's why in the file I attached I copied the geometry and the operation and moved them to mastercam origin.

Exact same parameters, exact same geometry. It's just one is at Mastercam Origin and one in space. Only one of them makes the expected toolpath.

I do like project for a lot of things. It is quite nice. If the wall was perpendicular I would project no problem.  But all I want to do with this last pass is make sure I blend a .125 Fillet between the angled wall and the floor. Neither surface is flat.

Pencil does this without creating any extra geometry and the blend is right on. If i want to go with project, I have to calculate the center of the ball nose to project. For this part I could probably get pretty close. Just takes some extra steps.

The other end of the floor is more drastic but has the same type of intersection I probably should have used it as my example.

I appreciate your advice and will use project. I'll save the toolpath from the created pencil toolpaths at Mastercam origin and translate that back to the part, then project those paths onto the surfaces. It's a work around, but not a very economical one.

2 hours ago, Slepydremr said:

I do like project for a lot of things. It is quite nice. If the wall was perpendicular I would project no problem.  But all I want to do with this last pass is make sure I blend a .125 Fillet between the angled wall and the floor. Neither surface is flat.

Pencil does this without creating any extra geometry and the blend is right on. If i want to go with project, I have to calculate the center of the ball nose to project. For this part I could probably get pretty close. Just takes some extra steps.

The other end of the floor is more drastic but has the same type of intersection I probably should have used it as my example.

I appreciate your advice and will use project. I'll save the toolpath from the created pencil toolpaths at Mastercam origin and translate that back to the part, then project those paths onto the surfaces. It's a work around, but not a very economical one.

yea unfortunately i am not having any luck with the pencil on that part file either but i see what you are saying. For the project toolpath i am not sure how you find the curve position but the video below is how i found the center of the ball endmill position with a fillet 2 surfaces, flowline curve, then Close arc which gave me center of cutter position easily so that may be another work around unless someone else has any ideas on getting this pencil toolpath to work.

https://fastechincorporated-my.sharepoint.com/:v:/g/personal/joshc_fastechinc_net/EfncnzIauuRBgqiqN4M-HvcBbwTbSNSR9_nS-20JVGWeSg?e=r2ob8x

• Thanks 1

I'm stumped.  I logged this as D-37697 "Finish/pencil fails to yield toolpath".  I get a similar failure with HST-Pencil (same two drive surfaces, same tool).  Maybe this has something to do with the surfaces being somewhat far from the Cartesian origin.  If I translate/move the geometry +800 in X and regen, path motion is output.

Here's a work-around:  add a check surface to the finish/pencil operation.  It can be anywhere (well away from the part).  Now regen.  This time, you'll get a path output.  The presence of the check geometry causes a slightly different algorithm to be used, one which yields a result.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2