Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mastercam post problems with y axis lathe

Jcncprogrammer

Im trying to program a simple pocket and contour on a haas st20y, it is a radial pocket. It looks good on the screen (mc 2017) but when i post it it comes in to cut but doesn't post all the geometry, just posts the R corners with no x or y moves in between. heres a pic

image.png.157f636094274ee7021f7d6acb9d6a8c.png

and heres the code its kicking out..

G20
(TOOL - 7 OFFSET - 7)
(0.1875 FLAT ENDMILL)
(FINISH POCKET)
T0707
M154
M8
G97 P4000 M133
G98
G17
G00 G54 Z10. C90.
X20.
Y10.
G03 R.0188 F25.
R.0318
R.0318
R.0318
R.0318
R.0188
M9
M155
M135
G00 G53 Y0.
G53 X0.
G53 Z0.
M30
%

What am i doing wrong?? Thank you

17 hours ago, Jcncprogrammer said:

Im trying to program a simple pocket and contour on a haas st20y,

This set up seems to be causing you a lot of problems. What is the origin of you MD, CD and post processer? Are they reseller supplied or did you do them in house? Look at the top of the post and see what post was used as a base for what is being used.  Is it Mplmaster or Generic Haas SL 4x MT ?

19 hours ago, Jcncprogrammer said:

Im trying to program a simple pocket and contour on a haas st20y, it is a radial pocket. It looks good on the screen (mc 2017) but when i post it it comes in to cut but doesn't post all the geometry, just posts the R corners with no x or y moves in between. heres a pic

image.png.157f636094274ee7021f7d6acb9d6a8c.png

and heres the code its kicking out..

G20
(TOOL - 7 OFFSET - 7)
(0.1875 FLAT ENDMILL)
(FINISH POCKET)
T0707
M154
M8
G97 P4000 M133
G98
G17
G00 G54 Z10. C90.
X20.
Y10.
G03 R.0188 F25.
R.0318
R.0318
R.0318
R.0318
R.0188
M9
M155
M135
G00 G53 Y0.
G53 X0.
G53 Z0.
M30
%

What am i doing wrong?? Thank you

you chose the Cross Contour Toolpath and have the Tool axis control set to Y-axis correct?

• Like 1
On 4/10/2019 at 7:05 PM, Jcncprogrammer said:

Im new to the Y axis lathe and new to live tooling on a lathe as well. Never had these issues with master cam  on 2 axis lathes and  4 axis mills which is what I do most of the time.

Here are things worth checking:

For a single turret, single spindle machine you normally have only one axis combination. Upper Left

On our Moris of the same configuration our most common toolpanes other than TOP are BACK and RIGHT. The fact that you had to use BOTTOM to get the correct code might well be OK but it is a bit unusual.

Take a look at the C-axis utility if you haven't. It has a preview screen that shows you how the tool is oriented  for a given C axis rotation. You can have a tool pane list in the Planes Manager in much the same way as you can build them by rotating planes in Mill 4 axis (is your machine C axis enabled? If not then this won't help.) except it would have a C address. 

• 1 year later...
16 hours ago, robin.jonsson.4276 said:

I have a similar problem. But I can only get it to post if I choose BACK. But choosing BACK flips the Z axle around, negative numbers become positive and the other way around. For the lathe operations I have wcs Top and Tplane: lathe upper left.

Make a new back taking top plane and rotating it around the X Axis. The default back is wrong for lathe on the screen, but most time will post good code. In your case sounds like you need a correct back. I will normally make a correct back and correct bottom plane from the start and use them verses the default back and bottom because of this very issue. 

3 hours ago, crazy^millman said:

Make a new back taking top plane and rotating it around the X Axis. The default back is wrong for lathe on the screen, but most time will post good code. In your case sounds like you need a correct back. I will normally make a correct back and correct bottom plane from the start and use them verses the default back and bottom because of this very issue. 

I just tried it. Both duplicating the top, front and back plane then rotating them. But it still only post when X axis is in the wrong direction. I manually replaces all negative Z and Y numbers with positives after posting it this time. But I still need to solve this

59 minutes ago, robin.jonsson.4276 said:

I just tried it. Both duplicating the top, front and back plane then rotating them. But it still only post when X axis is in the wrong direction. I manually replaces all negative Z and Y numbers with positives after posting it this time. But I still need to solve this

Do a Zip 2 Go with your post and some sample toolpaths showing the issue and then someone can see what you're seeing.

• Like 1