Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Good model for verify

TERRYH

I have a rather large cast iron casting I am working on and was wondering if there is a way to create a model I can use form the start, we do 10mm casting stock on all machined surfaces, (see pic) the grey surfaces are all that gets machined, and is all I would like to add the stock to the maroon I don't want to add any  as it is supposed to be cast to size. I know how to create a stock model using the solid and adding stock to the entire part but that's not way I want . 

3.png

Thanks that worked on everything but one surface the main one around the OD, but its a lot closer that I started with and will give me something for verify to see if I hit any thing, I do some that are a lot more complicated than this and figured this one would be a good one to learn on. 

1 hour ago, TERRYH said:

yes I got rid of all holes and then did the push pull, could not get it to work on the large OD surface, yet all the others worked fine. 

Extrude the profile and Boolean add?

Do you have SW?

I have taken to passing models through SW which then heals any problems on import, then resave as an .x_t. Parts which would not extrude cut before now will, parts which previously would not Boolean add now do.

if you are using the push-pull or modify feature to change a solid is there a way to get rid of a hole with a counter bore? Also not sure if it has to do with our models were getting but I am still finding areas I just cannot modify to create an accurate stock model to represent how I am getting a casting to properly verify. We do get several jobs that we have designed offshore that is designed in Catia then we use NX to convert it for us, because that's what our guys use here. not sue if that causes an issue or not, but it gets frustrating when your doing that and its going fine then all of a sudden it wont do what your wanting no matter what I try. 

The easiest way for me is Modify set to Remove under the Model Prep tab.

As a side note, practically every casting I have ever worked on came with an "as cast" and "machined" set of solids.  Do you not get both?  I mean, they have to have the model for the foundry.  Maybe you can request it?  If not, and you have a solid you need to modify I can make a video to show you how I do it with Mastercam.  I haven't had access to anything but Mastercam for 5 years or so and therefor have become quite good at modelling in Mastercam.  It's quite powerful once you figure out some of the little tricks to get what you need out of "MODEL PREP" such as removing fillets and where you need to start so you don't get backed in a corner.

I am a Mastercam reseller so you can send a z2g if you would like.

nope we don't have both they don't do one, how they do it is with colors, using my pic from above the maroon color is as cast and everything that is grey has 10mm added by the foundry.  Between myself and the other senior programmer we have over 20 yrs with mastercam, but we have always been so far behind we went from 4 to 6 then 6 to 9 then 9 to 2019 we got the job done, but it might not have been the most efficient methods or up to date with how others on here do stuff. I would love to learn more modeling in MC