Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Face Grooving

jean

Usually the tool has a max and min range it can do. This will dictate the holder. It's really no big deal, it's just like od grooving. Same tool paths actually. Use an insert narrower than the groove so that yo can wipe across the center on your finish pass. 

Sandvik would be my recommendation, but everyone has a brand they like. They all have good stuff or they wouldn't be in business. 

https://www.sandvik.coromant.com/en-gb/products/Pages/face-grooving-tools.aspx

• Like 1

When you get into deep grooves, you have to buy a groove tool holder with a curved anvil that supports the insert

The tool will have min/max groove diameters it can cut.

When you have this kind of issue, you need to properly set the Face groove fields.

In this screen shot I was using a topnotch groove tool and these settings were unnecessary so they remain at the default setting.

When applicable, you use these fields to restrain the first cut to a diameter the tool can cut without wrecking the anvil

Face Groove.PNG

20 minutes ago, gcode said:

When you get into deep grooves, you have to buy a groove tool holder with a curved anvil that supports the insert

The tool will have min/max groove diameters it can cut.

When you have this kind of issue, you need to properly set the Face groove fields.

In this screen shot I was using a topnotch groove tool and these settings were unnecessary so they remain at the default setting.

When applicable, you use these fields to restrain the first cut to a diameter the tool can cut without wrecking the anvil

Face Groove.PNG

All this time I've been doing A LOT of face grooving, and NEVER noticed this box.............🤪  Thanks for the tip!!!

18 hours ago, Roger said:

All this time I've been doing A LOT of face grooving, and NEVER noticed this box.............🤪  Thanks for the tip!!!

You only use these settings to control where the initial starting groove takes place

If the entire groove is within the min/max of the anvil, you don't need this setting.

If you're doing a wide groove then you use this setting to force the starting cut to stay within the limits of the anvil.

Before this setting was introduced, you sometimes had to make a separate starting cut to safely start the groove.

If you didn't you'd probably be buying a 2nd tool after learning an expensive lesson  (see the attached screen shot

from the Sandvik face grooving book)

Sandvik Face Groove.PNG

• Thanks 1