Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

mastercam issue with inventor imported files

elraiis

Good afternoon guys

This could be a very simple fix that am not aware of or ….! I got a client who uses inventor to design and he had sent me a table explaining what each solid face color means. Like RED face, means leave 0.01 for example, Green means machined finish etc. however all .IPT files mastercam opens are GRAY. the colors are lost in the translation. Help? is there a fix to this or something I can do to see original colors? 

thanks guys

hey man.

I am using MC2019. I don't have inventor but I had to install inventor View 2019 for the mastercam to be able to open the .IPT files. When I open the .IPT files in Mastercam however, the solid color changes into the default mastercam solid color setting and it doesn't preserve the original color from inventor. I don't think I can send out some files though. I tested a file in FUSION just to see if I get the colors or not but had to delete the file right away cause its on the cloud and that was a no no. so sharing a file ..? i'll see what I can do. however I don't think there is a solution as I contacted mastercam about it since yesterday and am still hanging without answer other than to try to save it under different setting in inventor. But I don't have inventor, I receive files made in inventor and customer doesn't accommodate to every shop he gives work.  

thx man.

The Mastercam importer of Inventor parts and assemblies will work if either Inventor or InventorView is installed.

Due to the differences in the ways we can access data via the two, having Inventor itself installed leads to a better import . Only in that case can we get color information, as well as any 3D MBD Annotation information. We don't have access to the color information when InventorView is installed.

That doesn't leave you with a lot of options unfortunately - both 1) trying to get the customer to send you a different format;  and 2) purchasing Inventor; involve some pain on your side.

this is horrible news man... I can't afford to buy a second software it took me years to save for the mastercam license I bought am I contractor programmer. Customer is big manufacturer; he doesn't accommodate for you, he replaces you. anyhow man thanks for the help and I hope I find a fix for this. 

27 minutes ago, elraiis said:

this is horrible news man... I can't afford to buy a second software it took me years to save for the mastercam license I bought am I contractor programmer. Customer is big manufacturer; he doesn't accommodate for you, he replaces you. anyhow man thanks for the help and I hope I find a fix for this. 

as an experiment, ask the customer to export a file as X_B (Parasolid) or step 

Hey man

customer provides only .IPT and .STEP. in both cases when I open the files on mastercam; Mastercam resets the colors of the solids to its standard setting color default. been playing with the configuration since yesterday trying to stop it from doing so but I failed so far. 

thx man.

4 minutes ago, Pete Rimkus from CNC Software Inc. said:

(assuming Inventor puts them in there).

there may be some step export options in Inventor that elrail's customer have overlooked???

I don't have a seat of Inventor available to check

I have Inventor ... I opened a part in Inventor that had some colored faces and then did a SaveAs ".STEP".

When I open that STEP file into MC 2019 the face colors are there.

Anyway I can get my hands on one of the customer's STEP files? It won't leave my computer.

Edited by Pete Rimkus from CNC Software Inc.

Try importing the .IPT file and have MC create surfaces on import. Way back before MC supported multi-colored faces on solids, that's what I had to do since we used color coded faces like your customer. The colors came in correctly on the surfaces.  It was a bit of a pain having all those surfaces that I really didn't need (I only had a 2D seat of MC at that job) but it solved the probably.